World Cup in Brazil could be a mistake, says FIFA boss Sep Blatter
FIFA President Sepp Blatter said it may have been a mistake to choose Brazil to host next year's World Cup.
His comments follow nationwide unrest during last month's Confederations Cup in which hundreds of thousands of Brazilians expressed anger that public money was being spent on stadiums instead of vital services like health, transport and education, reports Xinhua.
Blatter said on Wednesday he planned to raise his concerns with Brazil president Dilma Rousseff in September. “If this happens again, we have to question whether we made the wrong decision awarding the hosting rights,” Blatter told German press agency DPA.
“The government is now aware that next year the World Cup shouldn’t be disturbed. To me, these protests were like alarm bells for the government, the senate, the parliament.”