World Hypertension Day 2019: History, theme and significance
This day was initiated to increase the awareness of hypertension in people. This was especially important because of the lack of appropriate knowledge and awareness among hypertensive patients
World Hypertension Day is celebrated by The World Hypertension League (WHL), an umbrella to organizations of 85 national hypertension leagues and societies. This day was initiated to increase the awareness of hypertension in people. This was especially important because of the lack of appropriate knowledge and awareness among hypertensive patients. The World Hypertension League first launched its World Hypertension Day on May 14, 2005, and since 2006, it has been celebrated annually on May 17.
As the inaugural effort in 2005, the theme was simply ‘Awareness of high blood pressure’ followed by the theme ‘Treat to goal’ in 2006, with a focus on keeping blood pressure in check. The 2007 World Hypertension Day theme was ‘Healthy diet and healthy blood pressure’. These health-related themes by the WHL intend to raise awareness not only of hypertension but also other factors contributing to an increase in the incidence of hypertension and ways to prevent it.
World Hypertension Day 2019
World Hypertension Day 2019 will be celebrated by the people across the world on Friday which is May 17, 2019. The theme for World Hypertension Day 2019 is “Know your numbers” which aims at raising awareness regarding high blood pressure. The International Society of Hypertension (ISH) will organise May Measurement Month (MMM) this year also to create an awareness campaign aiming at educating people to know their blood pressure numbers and to take preventive measures in case of hypertension. In India, various healthcare institutions and hospitals will hold discussions, seminars and talks to observe the day. The aim will be to provide a better understanding of hypertension and safe life to the people suffering from the disorder. Free screening tests will also be conducted on the occasion so that people could know their blood pressure numbers.
Top News Stories Of The Day
- Mumbai: Global Hospital may lose licence for turning away poor patients
- Mumbai: Goons assault cine firm President for being refused Rs 50 lakh
- Dombivli: Man assaults TCs at Kopar railway station
- Mumbai: Wadala police to finally move out of crumbling station
- Mumbai: BMC chief grants Rs 100-crore relief to loss-making BEST
- Pune school teacher held for abusing girls under pretext of 'punishment'
- Worls Hypertension Day: Hypertension cases in Maharashtra rise by 25 percent in 2018
- Mumbai: Killer gets furlough, Keenan Santos-Reuben Fernandes' kin live in fear
- Man lends mobile to woman, molests her when she returns it in Pune
- CSMT bridge collapse: BMC's detailed bridge report a damp squib
- Cambridge 2019 results: 17 percent rise in entries
- 'Historic' HC order allows stranded sailors to leave Tag Navya ship
- Learn nature photography with BNHS CEC in Goregaon
The article has been sourced from third-party source and Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. All information provided on this article is for informational purposes only.
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe