46-year-old man dies during interrogation, two cops suspended

Mar 18, 2013, 11:20 IST | Sagar Rajput and Saurabh Vaktania

Naushad Shaikh, who was taken into police custody on Saturday, succumbed to blows to the head; Chembur police claim he had criminal background

An incident of custodial death was reported at the Chembur police station of a 46-year-old man with an alleged criminal background, who was taken there on Saturday evening. According to police officials, Naushad Shaikh died during interrogations. Deputy Commissioner of Police, Mahesh Ghurey zone VII, who holds temporary additional charges of zone VI, said, “An accused with a criminal background and accused of property offence was held by the Chembur police. During interrogations he got injured and was taken to Sion Hospital, where he was declared dead.”

Hard blow: According to cops, Naushad Shaikh, who was accused of property offence, died during interrogations at the Chembur police station

After the incident the police team informed all the concerned authorities such as the revenue authorities and crime authorities of the death, after which a panchnama was made. Two constables involved in the interrogation were later suspended. Additional Commissioner of Police (east region) Quaisar Khalid said, “We have now suspended the two constables identified as Sanjay and Sawant and as per the preliminary interrogations it has been revealed that the two had hit the deceased on the top of the head because of which he fell unconscious and died. We are still awaiting post-mortem reports.” The case was later transferred to the Crime Branch.

On the evening of March 16, Naushad Shaikh was sitting with his friend Ibrahim at Ibrahim’s residence in Shivaji Nagar, where a police team consisting of 10 people arrived and took them to the police station. Naushad’s brother-in-law Shabbir Shaikh said, “They were taken in the car which they had brought along with themselves after which they were offered dinner.”

Early in the morning on Sunday, Ibrahim was left by the police, following which a police team consisting of four officials arrived at Shabbir Shaikh’s Mahim residence at 10.30 am.  Shabbir added, “Police asked me whether I know Naushad and took me along with them to verify the dead body. After I identified the body the rest of the family was informed.”

The deceased is survived by three daughters and a 16-year-old son. Naushad’s son, Sameer Shaikh, has just one question for the Mumbai police. He wants to know why the family was not informed of the arrest. He added, “It’s not a case of suicide but a clear-cut case of murder as my father succumbed to injuries on the top of his head.” Relatives who saw Naushad’s body say he also suffered injury marks on his hands and thighs. 

Go to top