Youth loses leg in train mishap at Thane railway station
The 23-year-old slipped and fell between the train and the platform. The youngster, who is from Muzaffarpur, was in the city for his father's cancer treatment
A 23-year-old youth lost his left leg in a tragic accident that took place on Saturday afternoon at platform 7 of Thane railway station. Anupam Suraj, a resident of Muzaffarpur was trying to get into a moving train when he lost his balance and fell in between the train and the platform. One of the train bogeys passed over his leg. The boy, who is a BCom student, was in the city for the sake of his father, who is being treated for cancer.
The boy, along with his parents, was returning to their hometown in Muzaffarpur by Pawan Express train. At around 12.42 pm, when the train arrived at the railway station, the boy first got his father into the train, followed by his mother. He then put the entire luggage onto the train as well.
However, sources from the railway informed this paper that by the time the boy decided to board the train himself, it had begun moving. In a fraction of a second, he slipped and fell between the moving train and the platform, and the wheel of the train went over his leg.
An official from the railway, who rushed to the spot, said that the boy was clutching on to his mobile, laptop bag and purse even while the train ran over his leg. “The passengers in the train who saw what had happened pulled the chain and the train was brought to a halt. It was only after the train was taken a little ahead that we were able to bring the boy out,” said the railway official.
Suraj was then rushed to Thane’s Civil Hospital where they were informed that a portion of his left leg below the knee, required amputation. A doctor who treated the boy informed that the patient was in a semi-conscious state when he was admitted to the hospital. “He had a crush injury and therefore, we had to amputate the lower portion of his left leg.”
The boy’s parents were in a state of shock. His mother, Umakumari, tearfully said that this was not the first time that they had visited Mumbai and used to come here often for her husband’s treatment. “My husband is a cancer patient and now with this accident, I don’t know what to do.” The family was living with their relatives at Hiranandani Meadows in Thane.
The father, Vijay Kumar Singh, who continuously kept asking for his son at the hospital, was worried about how they would manage without him. “I am a cancer patient. We have so much luggage with us, how are we going to move around? I need to see my son.” The boy was shifted to Jupiter hospital in Thane for further treatment after a few relatives of the family arrived.
Late evening, the patient who was taken to the casualty ward on arrival, was shifted to the Operation Theatre (OT). Dr Ravindra Ghawat, chief intensivist, said that although the patient is stable now, it would be difficult to comment on his condition completely. He further added that the chances of his complete leg being amputated are quite high.