13-yr-old Aditya was burnt alive before being dumped in Panvel

May 16, 2013, 08:08 IST | Vinay Dalvi

Day two of investigation in the Aditya Ranka kidnapping and murder case shed more light on Monday's gruesome turn of events

According to the V P Road police which is investigating the case, the 13-year-old boy was burnt alive by one of the two accused Vrijesh Sanghvi. The killers didn’t pay heed to Aditya’s cry for mercy, “Bhaiya, aap mujhe kyun mar rahe ho (Brother, why are you killing me?)”

Yesterday, MiD DAY had reported (‘Diamond merchant’s 13-yr-old son abducted and killed by cousin, aide’) that Aditya Ranka, son of diamond merchant Jeetendra Ranka, was kidnapped, killed and his body dumped near Panvel on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway on Monday.

Untimely death: 13-year-old Aditya Ranka. Pic/Milind Karekar

The two accused — the victim’s cousin Himanshu Ranka and the cousin’s friend Vrijesh Sanghvi — have been sent to police custody till May 22. The police also said that it was Sanghvi who made the ransom call asking for Rs 30 lakh, from a local telephone booth in Sion.

On Monday after abducting the victim, Sanghvi offered him a burger and a video game to play with before he took him to Raigad near the banks of Amba River.

Later, he slashed the victim’s wrist with a knife. Sanghvi stabbed the boy on his chest and stomach and hit him with a stone on his head. He laid the injured victim on the ground and burnt him alive,” said a police officer from V P Road police station.

However, as he had limited means to burn the victim completely, the boy was still alive. Sanghvi later shoved him in the trunk of his Honda City car and drove for around 6 kms ahead to dump his body near Panvel on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway.

Officials from V P Road police said that both the accused used to bet on the IPL- 6 matches and have lost about Rs 6 lakh. “Both of them are married and work in the metal market. Himanshu Ranka had easy access to the Ranka residence and had seen his uncle Jeetendra bring home Rs 30 lakh,” said the police officer. The duo wanted to make up for their losses and thus hatched a plan to kidnap Aditya.

On Monday, Additional Commissioner of Police (South Region) Krishna Prakash, who was on bandboast duty for the IPL-6 at Wankhede Stadium, had called the Ranka family to meet him at the stadium. The family happened to take the car (Honda City) that Vrijesh Sanghvi had used for kidnapping Aditya.

“Jeetendra found a pair of slippers that belonged to his son Aditya, which he had brought from Dubai. Later he also discovered some bloodstains in the car and questioned Vrijesh about the same but found no answers,” said an officer from V P Road police station.  

Go to top