21-yr-old 'kidnapped' girl found hours later in hospital

Oct 12, 2012, 06:54 IST | Shiva Devnath

Cops traced her mobile to the ICU after her father lodged a complaint; victim said that she had been pulled into car, passed out and later woke up to find herself lying on the road; doctor revealed that she had consumed poison

A 21-year-old college student was allegedly kidnapped from Andheri last morning while on her way to office after appearing for her exam. The woman is a student of SNDT College in Malad.

Lost and found: The victim was allegedly kidnapped from Andheri last morning while on her way to office after appearing for her exam. She is a student of SNDT College in Malad


According to the victim’s father, he received a call from his daughter’s mobile phone at 10.30 am yesterday. The family resides in Navjeevan society in Malad (East).

“She was stammering and I could make out that she was scared. All she said was that she had been kidnapped. She pleaded with me to save her before disconnecting the phone,” he said.

The victim’s father then rushed to Malad police station to lodge a complaint.

Cops revealed that as soon as the kidnapping complaint was lodged, they began tracing her mobile phone and were surprised to learn that she was in Anand Para hospital at Malad (East). On reaching the hospital, cops found that the woman had been admitted to the ICU.

“When we found the girl she was unconscious and the doctor told us that she had consumed a poisonous chemical. When we asked who had admitted her to the hospital, the doctor said that a man had brought her there. The man had found the woman in an unconscious state near the Daruwala compound residential area in Malad (West),” said an officer from Malad police station.

When the girl was able to speak, she told them that she left for Andheri at 9.30 am after finishing her exam. She works at a garment factory in Andheri. She was walking towards her office when a van stopped in front of her and the occupants, one of them a woman, pulled her in. “I called my father immediately.

The men inside the car snatched my phone away and threatened me. I fell unconscious,” said the woman in her statement. When she came to, she found that she had been abandoned on the side of a road.

“When we recorded her statement, the woman’s elder brother told us that he had recently registered a case against one Anil Gupta, who had threatened him two days ago over an SRA issue. He said that Gupta had threatened to harm his father and sister,” added the officer.

“We have questioned Gupta for threatening the woman’s brother but he is not involved in the case,” said the officer.

The Amboli police are now trying to determine if the statement provided by the girl was accurate.  

Go to top