Chennai:A total of 54 women workers of a fish processing unit in Tamil Nadu fell unconscious after inhaling a poisonous gas, a senior official said Thursday.
The accident took place when an ammonia gas pipeline burst at Nila Fish Processing Unit in Tuticorin district Wednesday night.
"A total of 54 women workers fell unconscious following an ammonia gas pipeline burst. They were admitted to a hospital and their condition is stable," M. Ravi Kumar, district collector of Tuticorin, told IANS over phone.
He said an inquiry would be conducted by the inspector of factories and fire service officials, and action would be taken based on their report.
"No arrests have been made. The police are investigating," Kumar said.
Photos: Huma Qureshi, Neha Dhupia and other celebs at MAMI
Flashback: When sexy models sizzled in bikinis at Tokyo fashion show
Photos: Amy Jackson, Daisy Shah at Mumbai airport
Photos: Sridevi, Irrfan and other celebs at 'Mughal-e-Azam' screening
Photos: WWE Diva Kelly Kelly sizzles in bikinis on Instagram