Friday marks the fourth day of the demolition drive at Garib Nagar near Bandra East railway station in Mumbai, with heavy police deployment in the area. (Pics/Sameer Abedi)
Updated On: 2026-05-22 03:08 PM IST
Compiled by : Anushree Gaikwad
Western Railway on Friday said it had removed all illegal structures identified during the ongoing anti-encroachment drive at Garib Nagar in Bandra East, as demolition work entered its fourth day
Speaking on the operation, Western Railway Chief Public Relations Officer (CPRO) Vineet Abhishek said the authorities had completed the removal of all encroachments marked for demolition
Abhishek clarified that while the ground floors of the protected structures would remain intact, the upper portions, considered unsafe, were being manually dismantled by railway staff
According to Western Railway, residents were initially given the option to remove the upper portions themselves, but authorities later decided to carry out the process independently
Officials said nearly 50 per cent of the dismantling work on the upper floors had been completed and the remaining work is expected to finish by Saturday