A series of security threats has compelled Bollywood star Aamir Khan to apparently purchase an expensive 'special protection' Mercedes Benz to tackle bullets and explosives
If sources are to be believed, Aamir Khan now enjoys the distinction of owning the most expensive car in Bollywood. It seems that the actor’s recent purchase, a Mercedes Benz S600 that he has been travelling in of late, is a ‘special protection’ car.
Aamir Khan stepping into his ‘special protection’ car. Pics/Manav Manglani
What’s more, sources say that the actor, who is the third person in the country — after PM Manmohan Singh and industrialist Mukesh Ambani — to own this model, made this expensive purchase in a bid to tackle security threats.
Aamir Khan’s custom-made bombproof car
Says a source, “After the first season of Satyamev Jayate, Aamir Khan received a few threats as he had openly talked against female foeticide, medical malpractices and honour killings in the show. He then decided to purchase this expensive bombproof car. There are a lot of people out there who own bulletproof cars, but his bombproof car is a customised model and it is specially made for VVIPs.”
The actor was first spotted in this car when he dropped in at a suburban five-star for a party. It is being said that the car cost him around Rs 10 crore.
The source adds that Aamir had initially informed the police about the threats and even received police protection, but under pressure from his family and close friends, he had to place an order for this car.
“The second season of his show, Satyamev Jayate, is scheduled to hit TV screens from March 2, and its episodes may throw light on issues such as governance, corruption and the Lok Sabha elections this year. So he was advised to take no chances,” says a source close to the star.
Aamir Khan remained unavailable for comment.
Other Bollywood celebrities who have recently faced security threats
Sonu Nigam recently approached the police after he received a call from an underworld don. While there is no confirmation on this, sources say it was Chhota Shakeel. But apparently, the singer did not file any police complaint.
Akshay Kumar received calls last month threatening him for having fired his maid. Police officials said that these were prank calls. But they didn’t rule out the possibility of gangster Ravi Pujari making extortion calls either.
Karan Johar received threats recently. The case was later transferred to an anti-extortion cell and the calls were traced to a gangster. The director-producer has now applied for a round-the-clock police security cover.
Bollywood producer Boney Kapoor received death threats on the phone from an unidentified person, suspected to be linked to underworld don Ravi Pujari's gang.
It seems that no specific demands were made but the person threatened to kill him in his own house as a form of retribution against a certain thief’s imprisonment. A complaint has been lodged at Oshiwara Police station. Senior inspector Nasir Pathan recently revealed that the investigations are still on and the anti-extortion unit is also carrying out a parallel inquiry about the same. The police has now increased the security strength near his residence.