Fire in Andheri highrise kills senior citizen, injures her grandson

The Fire brigade issued a notice to the housing society, Dheeraj Gaurav in Andheri, for lack of fire fighting equipment

A fire broke out on the sixth floor of a highrise in Andheri west on Wednesday, killing one and injuring another. The deceased was an octogenarian named Mahinder Kaur Singh, who was found unconscious in her flat, where the fire broke out. Her grandson was injured while she was declared brought dead at the hospital.

Dheeraj Gaurav at Andheri where the fire broke out. Pic/Swarali Purohit
Dheeraj Gaurav at Andheri where the fire broke out. Pic/Swarali Purohit

At 1 am on Wednesday, a fire broke out in Dheeraj Gaurav heights in Adarsh Nagar, Andheri west. The fire brigade got a call and reached the spot at 1.28 am. Four fire engines and water tankers were sent to the 12-storey building. The fire originated and was confined to the 6th floor.

It broke out in the senior citizen’s flat, no. 602 and was confined to household articles, furniture, false ceiling etc. Kaur was found unconscious in her bedroom, and was immediately rushed to Cooper hospital in an ambulance. She was declared brought dead. Her grandson, Shailendra Singh, (43), suffered about 10 per cent burns and was also moved to Cooper.

The fire was doused within 10 minutes. ‘Two women and two men trapped in the staircase were rescued. About 41 people who had taken shelter on the terrace were also rescued. A notice has been served to the housing society for lack of firefighting equipment.

The wet riser was not working, electrical cables were not sealed in the duct, there were no signages, the building had not submitted a fire audit to the brigade and there was encroachment in the lobby. The K/West ward office has been instructed not to supply water or electricity to the building until compliance is done,’ said a statement issued by the fire brigade.

Talking to mid-day, forensic experts said that the death of the senior citizen took place due to burn injuries as well as the shock of the fire. “The woman had sustained around 40% burn injuries but her old age proved to be fatal for her. Smoke inhalation and shock of the burn injuries resulted in her death,” said the expert.

A doctor from the hospital said, “She was brought in at 2.30 am. She had deep burn injuries on her face, abdomen and lower extremities.” Talking about Singh, doctors from the hospital said that while they had recommended him to get admitted, the family chose to take discharge against medical advice.

“The patient had sustained burn injuries on the face, both ears and palms. We had asked the family to get him admitted but they chose to take discharge,” said a treating doctor.

Inputs by Sadaguru Pandit

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply