2 aspiring cops die after suffering heat stroke during recruitment

Jun 12, 2014, 01:59 IST | Sagar Rajput

Both of them collapsed after suffering a heat stroke during the 5-kilometre run in Mumbai, which is part of the recruitment procedure; they died while being treated in hospitals

The heat and humidity took a toll on two aspiring cops who collapsed during the recruitment process and died while being treated in hospitals.

Police officials said the deceased have been identified as Ambadas Balwant Sonawane (28) and Prasad Mali (19), who had applied for jobs with the Mumbai and Thane police respectively.

Heat stroke
Representational pic

Officials said that while the post-mortem report is awaited, it appears that they had suffered a heat stroke. Sonawane collapsed due to the heat while taking part in the 5-kilometre running activity, which is a part of the recruitment process, yesterday. The run was taking place on the service road of the Eastern Express Highway between Mulund and Ghatkopar.

An officer from Vikhroli police station said, “Sonawane was a resident of Malegaon, Nashik and had arrived in the city on June 8 to participate in the recruitment process. He ran for approximately 4 km in the 5-km run, which started around 8 am on Wednesday.

Around 9.30 am, he lost consciousness and fell on the ground. The heat and humidity was high and it was affecting the health of the candidates.”

Sonawane was initially given basic treatment by the police recruitment team but as his condition was worsening, he was admitted to the Mahatma Phule Hospital in Vikhroli (East) at 10.15 am.

“Since Sonawane’s condition still wasn’t improving, he was being transferred to Sion hospital, where he was declared dead on arrival. We have registered an Accidental Death Report,” added the officer.

Long fight
Virar resident Prasad Mali (19) had applied for a job with the Thane Police. He lost consciousness during the 5-km run on June 8 and had been admitted to a government hospital the same day. His health had been improving but it took a sudden turn for the worse and he was declared dead around 12.15pm yesterday.

An officer from Vashi police station said, “Thane police’s recruitment process was taking place at Patne ground in Airoli, which falls under the jurisdiction of Rabale police station. Male was rushed to a hospital after suffering a heat stroke on Sunday. He was declared dead on Wednesday.”

Third victim
One Hari Jaywant Jabir was rushed to Sion Hospital yesterday after he lost consciousness and hit the ground hard. He suffered severe head injuries.


Dr Vidya Thakur, medical superintendent of the Rajawadi hospital in Ghatkopar, said, “On Tuesday, five aspiring policemen were rushed to our hospital, out of which three were admitted. On Wednesday, three more were admitted.

Their condition is stable as of now.” Some candidates were also rushed to Sion hospital, where they are undergoing treatment, said Dr Avinash Supe, dean of the hospital.

Last year, more than ten candidates were rushed to Rajawadi hospital with severe dehydration and were unconscious for days before their condition improved.

Doctors say long hours spent under the sun and the fact that the candidates are not given enough water bottles results in many of them suffering heat strokes.

- Anuradha Varanasi

Go to top