Jada Smith on her marriage: There have been betrayals of the heart
"What are the alternatives to divorce? Everybody thinks as soon as you find out there's been an affair, you have to get a divorce," Jada Smith asks Perel. Perel replies that ending is not always the right decision.
Jada Pinkett Smith opens up about the struggles in her relationship with husband Will Smith in the next episode of her Facebook Watch series, Red Table Talk. In the teaser, Jada, 47, and her co-host/mother, Adrienne Banfield-Norris, have therapist Esther Perel at the Red Table Talk to talk about ups-and-downs of a relationship. "What are the alternatives to divorce? Everybody thinks as soon as you find out there's been an affair, you have to get a divorce," Jada asks Perel. Perel replies that ending is not always the right decision.
"I'm not of that persuasion because I think there are many relational betrayals. Contempt, neglect, violence, and indifference and nobody tells people, 'Leave, leave, get the hell out'," the therapist says. "Especially on women, it's the real new pressure. God forbid, you still love the person who actually cheated on you. It's like the shame of staying, now that you can go, you've got to get out," Perel added. Jada said that she could understand a woman's decision not to end the marriage immediately as she has been down the same path.
"I'm asked a lot about, 'Is there infidelity in your relationship with Will?'" she said. "And it's like, 'No, but there've been other betrayals of the heart that have been far bigger than I could even think in regards to an infidelity situation.'" Both Jada and Will have been open about the ups and downs in their marriage. The Aladdin actor said he worked hard on their relationship when he appeared on Red Table Talk in October. "We broke up within our marriage and got back together again," he said. "We had to rebuild with new rules."
Top Entertainment Stories Of The Day:
- Shilpa Shetty 44th birthday: Raj Kundra's sweet message for 'darling'
- Bharat Box Office Day 3: Stands at Rs 95.50 crore total; all set to enter 100 crore club today
- B-town buzz: Varun Dhawan's old ties, Boman Irani's dinner and Abhishek Kapoor's Sharaabi
- Meghna Gulzar on Deepika Padukone: Not easy for leading lady to transform into acid attack victim
- At 44, Shilpa Shetty can still give the younger actresses a run for their money
- Dimple Kapadia's gorgeous photos from her younger days that will make you say 'wow'
- Do you know about these Bollywood actors' charitable acts?
- When Bollywood stars shared the screen with family members in films
- Boney Kapoor takes South superstar Ajith across three continents
- 'Kabir Singh made me feel that I never want to become this person'
Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.comSubscribe
Remo D'souza's cute chemistry with wife Lizelle