shot-button
Home > Entertainment News > Bollywood News > Article > Film bodies write letter to Maharashtra CM over security concerns after Rohit Shetty Ranveer Singh receive death threats

Film bodies write letter to Maharashtra CM over security concerns after Rohit Shetty, Ranveer Singh receive death threats

Updated on: 19 February,2026 07:16 AM IST  |  Mumbai
Upala KBR |

After Rohit Shetty’s firing incident and Ranveer Singh’s extortion case, film bodies write letter to CM Devendra Fadnavis; seek a meeting to discuss security threats

Film bodies write letter to Maharashtra CM over security concerns after Rohit Shetty, Ranveer Singh receive death threats

Rohit Shetty, Devendra Fadnavis and Ranveer Singh

Listen to this article
Film bodies write letter to Maharashtra CM over security concerns after Rohit Shetty, Ranveer Singh receive death threats
x
00:00

Earlier this week, mid-day reported that leading film industry bodies held a meeting to decide their course of action, in the wake of the firing incident outside Rohit Shetty’s residence and extortion threat to Ranveer Singh (Call for protection, Feb 16). In the latest development, the bodies have sent a letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis, requesting a meeting with him. In the meeting, they wish to discuss the threats and understand the steps taken by the government to address the situation. 

Six organisations have signed the February 16 letter, a copy of which is in mid-day’s possession. According to Ashoke Pandit, President, Indian Film and Television Directors’ Association, a meeting with the CM is necessary at this stage as a wave of fear has gripped the film industry. He said, “The film industry has been in shock. All the film bodies discussed the issue and concluded that we should express our concern to the Chief Minister. We are hopeful that the government will successfully handle this situation.”


Ratan Jain, President, Indian Film and Television Producers Council, said that such attack attempts and threats are reminiscent of the 1990s, when the film industry was a soft target. “This had happened in 1992 earlier, and many people [in the industry] paid money [when faced with extortion calls],” he recalled. 



Ashok Dubey, General Secretary, Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE), added, “Earlier, the FWICE had written a letter to the government requesting a meeting, but there was no response. Then the producers’ bodies got together and sent the letter as we don’t want the 1990s to happen again. We want the government to support us.”

Feb 1
When multiple gunshots were fired outside filmmaker Rohit Shetty’s house

Feb 10
When reports about actor Ranveer Singh receiving an extortion threat emerged 

The letter has been signed by:

. Indian Motion Picture Producers’ Association 
. Producers Guild of India
. Indian Film and Television Producers Council
. Western India Film Producers’ Association 
. Indian Film and Television Directors’ Association 
. Federation of Western India Cine Employees 

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!

Did you find this article helpful?

Yes
No

Help us improve further by providing more detailed feedback and stand a chance to win a 3-month e-paper subscription! Click Here

Note: Winners will be selected via a lucky draw.

Help us improve further by providing more detailed feedback and stand a chance to win a 3-month e-paper subscription! Click Here

Note: Winners will be selected via a lucky draw.

devendra fadnavis rohit shetty ranveer singh ashoke pandit federation of western india cine employees bollywood news Entertainment News

Mid-Day Web Stories

Mid-Day Web Stories

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK