shot-button
T20 World Cup 2026 Article Details T20 World Cup 2026 Article Details
Home > Mumbai > Mumbai News > Article > Opposition to boycott Maharashtra govts high tea ahead of Budget Session

Opposition to boycott Maharashtra govt’s high tea ahead of Budget Session

Updated on: 22 February,2026 04:38 PM IST  |  Mumbai
mid-day online correspondent |

CM Devendra Fadnavis had personally written to senior leaders inviting them to the event, said Shiv Sena (UBT) leader Bhaskar Jadhav. He also criticised the trade deal between India and the United States, claiming it would adversely impact cotton growers and fisherfolk in the state

Opposition to boycott Maharashtra govt’s high tea ahead of Budget Session

The customary high tea is held on the eve of a legislature session. Representational pic

Listen to this article
Opposition to boycott Maharashtra govt’s high tea ahead of Budget Session
x
00:00

Senior Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray) leader Bhaskar Jadhav said the opposition will boycott the customary tea party hosted by Chief Minister (CM) Devendra Fadnavis on Sunday ahead of Maharashtra Legislature’s Budget Session, news agency PTI reported.

Fadnavis had personally written to senior leaders inviting them to the event, which is traditionally held on the eve of a legislature session, Jadhav said.


“The ruling party is arrogant and shows little respect towards the opposition. As there is no respect, no decency and no regard for the Constitution, we have decided to decline the high tea invitation,” Jadhav told reporters.



He also criticised the trade deal between India and the United States, claiming it would adversely impact cotton growers and fisherfolk in the state.

However, the Fadnavis government has expressed no regret over the Union Government’s decision, and therefore it was decided to boycott the high tea invitation, the Shiv Sena (UBT) leader added.

Jadhav said another reason for declining the invite was the Maharashtra government’s “ambiguous stand” on the death of Deputy CM Ajit Pawar in a plane accident.

Maharashtra opposition flags 'Ladki Bahin' scheme, farmer suicides, and Davos MoUs

He also criticised the state government over the implementation of the Mukhyamantri Majhi Ladki Bahin scheme, alleging that ahead of the Maharashtra Assembly Elections 2024, Rs 1,500 per month was disbursed to women without verification and votes were “bought”, and later more than 50 lakh women were declared ineligible on trivial grounds.

He further said that many women will now not receive the allowance as they have not completed e-KYC (know your customer).

Meanwhile, Congress Legislative Party leader Vijay Wadettiwar said 22 farmers had died by suicide in Yavatmal, while 76 had ended their lives in the Marathwada region, alleging that the state government had taken no steps to address the issue.

He also criticised the state government over the memoranda of understanding signed at the World Economic Forum in Davos, pointing out that several of the companies were already based in Maharashtra and some lacked adequate capital, PTI reported.

The opposition will demand a white paper on the matter, he said.

Wadettiwar also questioned why, if such large investments were coming to Maharashtra, the government could not increase the Ladki Bahin scheme’s monthly stipend from Rs 1,500 to Rs 3,000.

'Maharashtra has not received Rs 29,000 crore from Centre'

“Since December, Maharashtra had sought Rs 29,000 crore from the Union government but had not yet received it,” he said, alleging that Gujarat was being given preferential treatment over Maharashtra.

The Congress leader further claimed that nearly 600 acres of land near Nagpur, categorised as reserved forest land, had been leased to the Adani Group at Rs 1 lakh per acre, and alleged that the government had also permitted a mining project adjacent to the Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve.

“When the Maha Vikas Aghadi was in power, it had opposed the decision and did not grant permission,” he said.

He also claimed that 1.57 lakh women and girls were missing in Maharashtra, PTI reported.

Satej Patil, Leader of the Congress in the Legislative Council, said nearly 70 lakh youths had registered themselves as unemployed in the state.

He also criticised the Rs 1.02 lakh crore Shaktipeeth Mahamarg project, stating that it was unnecessary and that nobody had demanded it, yet the state government was pushing it.

Patil further alleged that a raid on Minister Narhari Zirwal’s office in Mantralaya could not have taken place without the CM's consent.

“If Fadnavis seriously wished to improve the state’s image, he should have sought Zirwal’s resignation,” Patil said, adding that if the Anti-Corruption Bureau in Maharashtra is truly autonomous and free from pressure, opposition leaders would honour its officials.

(With PTI inputs)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!

Did you find this article helpful?

Yes
No

Help us improve further by providing more detailed feedback and stand a chance to win a 3-month e-paper subscription! Click Here

Note: Winners will be selected via a lucky draw.

Help us improve further by providing more detailed feedback and stand a chance to win a 3-month e-paper subscription! Click Here

Note: Winners will be selected via a lucky draw.

maharashtra congress devendra fadnavis Maha Vikas Aghadi mumbai news news

Mid-Day Web Stories

Mid-Day Web Stories

This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK