In wake of Cyclone Vayu heading towards Gujarat, the Mumbai Police and BMCu00e2u0080u0099s disaster management advise people of Mumbai to stay away from the shoreline and avoid parking their vehicles under trees to avoid damages
Mumbai Police on Twitter alert residents of Mumbai about the extreme climatic changes due to CycloneVayu heading towards Gujarat coast. According to the Mumbai Police, the city will witness heavy winds and showers hence warning people to avoid venturing into the sea or near beaches. They advised people to stay away from the shoreline and avoid parking their vehicles under trees to avoid damages. Apart from the Mumbai police, the city civic body's Disaster Management Department has also issued a warning for the citizens of the city to stay safe and avoid shoreline areas.
In view of #CycloneVayu heading towards Gujarat coast, Mumbai is likely to experience very windy conditions from afternoon.— CP Mumbai Police (@CPMumbaiPolice) June 12, 2019
Citizens shud not venture into sea & should keep safe distance from shore-line. Parking under weak/old trees be avoided. Take care Mumbai @DisasterMgmtBMC
Precaution is better than cure must have been said for a reason! So while we are here for the cure, we request Mumbaikars to take precaution on ground & the sea today. City expects strong winds & we request you to maintain safe distance from shore-line. #Dial1916 #CycloneVayu— Disaster Management Department (MCGM) (@DisasterMgmtBMC) June 12, 2019
#MumbaiRains expected today as well, windy and cloudy morning for Mumbaikars. #CycloneVayu abeam #Mumbai https://t.co/y6PcsQ0mRb— SkymetWeather (@SkymetWeather) June 12, 2019
Cyclonic storm "Vayu" has intensified into a severe cyclonic storm, the IMD said on Tuesday. The weathermen also said the speed of "Vayu" has increased to 17 km per hour in the last six hours of the evening. The IMD has issued a warning for Saurashtra and Kutch region in Gujarat which would receive a widespread rainfall and heavy to very heavy showers in isolated areas on June 13. The department has warned fishermen against venturing
into sea as the cyclonic storm is getting intensified.
JUST IN: Severe #CycloneVayu has become a Very Severe Cyclone and is heading towards Saurashtra. More updates soon. Stay safe Folks!https://t.co/7lMHpmvpHG— SkymetWeather (@SkymetWeather) June 12, 2019
#Satellite Imagery showing cloud band on the West Coast due to #CycloneVayu. #Vayu #VayuCyclone #Gujarat needs to prepare for the storm that is to come pic.twitter.com/4jdIYLmiul— SkymetWeather (@SkymetWeather) June 11, 2019
"It is very likely to move nearly northwards and cross Gujarat coast between Porbandar and Mahuva around Veraval and Diu region as a severe cyclonic storm with wind speed 110-120 kmph gusting to 135 kmph during early morning of June 13," as per Mumbai regional office, India Meteorological Department (IMD). The cyclone is located in the Arabian Sea, about 350 km west-northwest of Goa, 410 km south-southwest of Mumbai (Maharashtra) and 530 km nearly south of Veraval (Gujarat), it said.
Also Read: Cyclone Vayu: Thunderstorm warning issued for tomorrow in Gujarat
Top stories of the day
- The Dutch mystery: Man wanted is on temple run in Maharashtra
- Win Rs 10,000 if you find the truck that dumped this debris in south Mumbai
- Mumbai Crime: Man rapes teenage girl in Bandra, blackmails her with video
- Mumbai: Banned newspaper is still vendors' first choice for serving food
- Meet Vasai's traffic stoppers who are being the change they wish to see
- Mumbai Crime: Chain-snatchers' new modus ends at police station lock-up
- Mumbai: Chain-snatching cases drop but recovery still poor
- Thane Municipal Corporation unprepared for monsoon, says social activist
- Mumbai: Bad roads this year, too at Aarey Colony
- Mumbai on alert in wake of cyclone Vayu: Disaster Management Department
- For non-SSC students, internal marks won't count
- Shiv Sena, BJP start bickering over CM's post, seat-sharing
- Ujjwala Raut: Here's what the 41 year old supermodel of the 90s is doing now
- Worst crimes: These monstrous mothers murdered their children!
- Amruta Fadnavis wows with her soulful performance in Los Angeles
- These famous schools, colleges are also popular for Bollywood shoots
- Narendra Modi shares a hearty laugh with Sri Lanka President
- Bollywood celebs you probably don't know are related
- Do you know Tamannaah Bhatia made her Bollywood debut at age 15?
- When Shahid Kapoor went out of his way to help his on-screen sister-in-law
- Saif Ali Khan feels bad when he reaches home and finds Taimur asleep
- Here's how Shahid Kapoor transformed for Kabir Singh
- Malaika Arora and Tara Sutaria's Bandra outing is all things casual
- World Cup 2019: Team India watch Salman Khan's new movie Bharat
- World Cup 2019: Warm-up win vs India doesn't mean Kiwis are are hot!
- World Cup 2019: Steve Waugh compares Hardik Pandya with Lance Klusener
Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates