Expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Sengar's brother Jaideep Sengar had approached the court seeking a three-month extension of his interim bail in the custodial death case of the Unnao rape survivor’s father. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) opposed the plea.
Jaideep Sengar, brother of expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Sengar, was sentenced to 10 years in prison by a trial court in the custodial death case. Representational Pic/File/iStock
The Delhi High Court on Tuesday said that Jaideep Sengar, brother of expelled BJP leader Kuldeep Sengar, must surrender as there was no order extending the interim bail earlier granted to him on medical grounds, reported the PTI.
Jaideep Sengar had approached the court seeking a three-month extension of his interim bail in the custodial death case of the Unnao rape survivor’s father. The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) opposed the plea.
The court noted that interim bail had been granted to Jaideep Sengar on July 3, 2024 for two months on medical grounds. However, there was no specific order extending it beyond that period.
“Your interim bail was only for a particular period, and you should have surrendered. I just read the file, and there is no order (extending the interim bail),” the court observed, according to the PTI.
In the pre-lunch session, the court had orally indicated that the interim bail would continue till February 20. However, after reviewing the case file post lunch, it clarified that there was no formal extension of the earlier interim order and directed him to surrender, the news agency reported.
Medical grounds and CBI objection
Jaideep Sengar, 50, was sentenced to 10 years in prison by a trial court in the custodial death case. In his plea, he said he was suffering from Stage IV oral cancer, a life-threatening condition, and had shown signs of recurrence. He argued that his condition required continuous and specialised medical care, as per the PTI.
The CBI counsel opposed the extension, stating that the case was not fit for continued interim bail. The agency also claimed that the medical prescription submitted in support of the plea appeared to be fabricated.
Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma directed the CBI to file a detailed verification report. The court asked the agency to clearly state whether Sengar was critically ill and whether his medical documents were genuine, the PTI reported.
Background of the case
Kuldeep Sengar was convicted of raping the Unnao survivor and was sentenced on 20 December 2019 to imprisonment for the remainder of his life. The girl was allegedly kidnapped and raped by him in 2017 when she was a minor.
On March 13, 2020, Kuldeep Sengar and his brother Jaideep Sengar, also known as Atul Singh, were sentenced to 10 years’ rigorous imprisonment in the custodial death case of the survivor’s father. The trial court also imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh, according to the PTI.
The survivor’s father had been arrested under the Arms Act and died in custody on April 9, 2018, allegedly due to police brutality. The trial court had said that no leniency could be shown in the killing of a family’s sole breadwinner.
Appeals against the trial court’s judgement are currently pending before the Delhi High Court.
(with PTI inputs)
Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!


