The event’s promoter said, it had been informed that Argentina were not prepared to travel to Australia for the match 'contrary to their prior agreement and commitment to do so'
Argentina’s Lionel Messi
The sports minister of Australia’s state of Victoria reacted with anger on Thursday after Lionel Messi’s Argentina pulled out of a highly anticipated June 11 friendly against rivals Brazil in Melbourne.
The event’s promoter said it had been informed that Argentina were not prepared to travel to Australia for the match “contrary to their prior agreement and commitment to do so”. Ticket holders for the clash at Melbourne Cricket Ground, which would have come just five months before the World Cup, will be eligible for refunds, the promoter said.
“We are pretty disappointed and I think it’s fair to say pretty pissed off,” Victoria’s sports minister Martin Pakula said.
“I think they owe Australian football fans an explanation because they have not provided an acceptable explanation to the promoter,” he added.
This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever