18 August,2026 08:23 AM IST | Ranchi | mid-day online correspondent
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto. Pic/PTI
Student leader Devendra Nath Mahto ended his hunger strike at Sadar Hospital in Ranchi on Tuesday after Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination and all examinations conducted by TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL).
Mahto had been on hunger strike as part of a student-led agitation over demands related to the recruitment examination process in the state. His protest ended in the presence of Jharkhand Ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari.
Speaking to reporters, Mahto thanked Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Congress MP Rahul Gandhi and state ministers Dipika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari for agreeing to the demands raised by the aspirants.
He also called for stringent laws and reforms to strengthen monitoring of examinations and prevent paper leaks.
Mahto said his hunger strike had entered its 16th day and that the broader student agitation had begun on July 2.
"Today marks the 16th day of the hunger strike; this struggle began on July 2. Following a meeting with the Chief Minister on July 20, a CID inquiry was initiated on July 28. The investigation is being conducted thoroughly, sparing no one, not even high-profile figures like the former Chief Secretary and the JPSC Chairman. I thank the Jharkhand government for showing the courage to make such a significant decision--cancelling an exam was a massive challenge. It was not an easy call, given that the recruitment process for the JSSC CGL examination had already reached the joining stage and many students had likely already secured their positions. Yet, considering the critical situation, the government took this bold step for the students... I extend my thanks to the Jharkhand government, Chief Minister Hemant Soren, Rahul Gandhi, our MLA, Minister Deepika Pandey, Irfan Ansari, the students, the media, social activists, and even the strangers who--at 1 or 2 am--would send us water and snacks during the agitation."
Mahto said the cancellation of the examination marked a major victory for the students but stressed that his campaign for reforms in the examination system would continue.
"Today marks a huge victory for Jharkhand. While I am now suspending my protest, my struggle for reform will continue. I envision an education system where paper leaks and irregularities do not occur--a system that guarantees that children currently in primary or secondary school would not have to make such sacrifices or fight such battles when they eventually appear for JPSC or JSSC exams. If this requires the Legislative Assembly to enact new laws or necessitates a constitutional amendment, then so be it. Every examination must be monitored, every examination must be audited, and there must be a clear certificate for every examination and at every stage; we will continue to struggle for this", he added.
Mahto's remarks came after the state government announced decisions affecting the JSSC-CGL examination as well as examinations conducted by TDPL.
The student leader said the next focus would be on creating a system in which examination processes are monitored and audited at every stage.
Jharkhand Minister Irfan Ansari said the agitation had formally ended after three protesters on hunger strike voluntarily decided to call off their fast.
Ansari said the protesters underwent medical examinations and were found to be in stable condition.
"Just now, Devendra Mahato, Umme Habiba, and Rahul Kranti voluntarily took the initiative to end their hunger strike. We facilitated the end of their hunger strike. We helped them break their fast by giving them juice. Through the collective efforts of Dipika Pandey and Jairam Mahato, the ongoing agitation has formally concluded today. The government has accepted all their demands; these were significant demands and a major issue. However, in the interest of the youth, our Chief Minister took such a historic decision. The agitation--which was in the interest of the youth--has ended. We have arrived; a full medical check-up has been conducted, and they are being discharged. All three are healthy; there are no issues--their blood pressure and blood sugar levels are normal. From the information I have received, everything is fine."
The minister said the government had taken the decision in view of the interests of young people who are preparing for recruitment examinations.
While the student-led agitation over alleged irregularities ended, a separate group of JSSC-CGL aspirants who had cleared the examination protested at Project Bhawan in Ranchi against the government's decision to cancel the test.
The successful candidates demanded that the cancellation decision be withdrawn. They said they would continue to pursue their claims through legal and democratic means.
The protest by candidates who had cleared the examination highlights the competing concerns arising from the government's decision. While protesting students had demanded action over alleged irregularities, candidates who cleared the examination have argued that cancellation would affect those who had already completed the selection process.
Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday announced that the state government had decided to cancel all activities associated with TSR Data Processing Private Limited (TDPL).
The decision covers examinations conducted by the company, results that had been published and candidates who had been selected through those processes.
The state Cabinet also decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examinations.
The government's announcement followed weeks of student protests over alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations. The agitation had included an indefinite hunger strike by students demanding action from the state authorities.
(With inputs from ANI)