Esther Anuhya case: 'The motive was to satisfy unbridled lust'
Special Women’s court convicted Chandrabhan Sanap for the rape and murder of Esther Anuhya; Quantum of sentence to be pronounced today
The Mumbai Sessions court on Tuesday convicted Chandrabhan Sudam Sanap (29), for raping and murdering Esther Anuhya (in pic) on January 5, 2014 at Kanjurmarg. The quantum of sentence will be pronounced today.
It was at around 12 pm, when Sanap was presented in court after which the special women’s court Judge Vrushali Joshi pronounced the verdict convicting him under sections 302 (murder), 364 (abduction), 366 (kidnapping), 376 (A) (while committing rape, inflicting an injury that causes the woman’s death), 376  (M) (while committing rape causing grievous bodily harm and endangering a woman’s life), 397 (robbery or dacoity, with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) and 201(destruction of evidence) of the Indian Penal Code.
The Judge also called Sanap to the witness box and explained to him the charge under which he had been convicted after which he broke down. Sanap appeared to be in shock.
Defence advocate Prakash Salsingikar then told the court to adjourn the sentence for a day, as Sanap was in a state of shock. When the Judge asked public prosecutor Raja Thakare if he was seeking death in this case, the lawyer told the court that he would put forward the circumstantial evidence and it was up to the court to decide accordingly. While Esther’s uncle was present in court, there was no one from Sanap’s family.
While convicting Sanap, the Judge observed, “Injuries on the person and scene of the spot prove the gravity of the offence. Medical evidence proves that she must have resisted and the accused has committed a gruesome act of committing rape and committing murder of a young promising lady.”
Citing the circumstantial evidence that is being presented against Sanap, the Judge further observed, “It is a case of cold-blooded pre-planned murder. The motive behind it is to satisfy unbridled lust.”
Speaking to mid-day, defence advocate Prakash Salsingikar said, “We will definitely go to the High Court as there is no proper evidence against Sanap and we are sure he will be relieved there.”