Ghatkopar building collapse: How a mobile phone, oxygen line kept man alive for 14 hours

Jul 26, 2017, 21:28 IST | Santosh Wagh

In the Ghatkopar building collapse, a 58-year-old Rajesh Doshi was finally pulled out of debris after over 14 hours; rescue personnel focused on keeping him hydrated and alive during the ordeal

6 PM Tuesday: Rajesh Doshi stuck in debris

When his 14-hour-long ordeal ended, all that Rajesh Doshi wanted to do was assuage fears. The 58-year-old stock market employee, who was pulled out at 1.42 am from the debris of the ill-fated Ghatkopar building that crashed on Tuesday morning, kept repeatedly shouting out to rescuers and onlookers that he was fine.

1.42 AM Wednesday – Rescued. Rajesh Doshi being taken to a private hospital following his rescue. Pics/ Sameer Markande

Doshi was pulled out of the rubble around 1.42 am, capping hours of suspense. He was in his flat alone, confined to the bed with a leg injury, when the four-storey building -- Siddhi Sai Cooperative Housing Society in Damodar Park -- collapsed. While the NDRF and the fire brigade's rescue operations were on, son Darshan, who was out with his mother Rita, got a call from Doshi around 5 pm yesterday, telling him that he was trapped under a portion of a wall although his face was unhurt and he was able to breathe.

Doshi's son Darshan is seen speaking to him on the phone
Doshi's son Darshan is seen speaking to him on the phone

Bandesh Vora, Doshi's nephew, said Darshan got several calls from his father, who sought the fire brigade's help.

With directions from Doshi on phone, Darshan led the rescue workers to the spot where his flat once stood. "NDRF personnel began digging at the site," said Vora.

Also Read: 20-year-old recalls last moments before structure came crashing down

The oxygen line through which the rescue personnel kept Doshi hydrated

Fire station officer Ganesh Kharatmal said they were able to ascertain Doshi's location with the help of a sniffer dog around 8 pm on Tuesday. The priority was to keep him hydrated and alive till he could be rescued. "We provided him juice and oxygen via a line," said Kharatmal.

For all Ghatkopar building collapse updates, check here

As the NDRF and fire personnel worked on removing the rubble, Darshan kept Doshi engaged with calls, to assure him that help was inches away.

Death toll mounts
While Doshi had a happy ending, five others met a tragic end through Tuesday night. Late last night, five more bodies -- Pramila Dhag, 56, Birali Ajmera, 24, Hina Deora, 48, Vijay Deora, 52, and Subhadraben, 72 -- were pulled out of the debris, taking the death toll to 17. A total of 28 persons have been rescued so far.

Birali Ajmera's body is pulled out of the debris last night
Birali Ajmera's body is pulled out of the debris last night

Valuables safe
During the rescue operation, the personnel recovered many valuables and cash from the debris. These have been kept at the BMC's Manik Lal Ground nearby and a police team is guarding them.

"Once the operation is over, we will question families of the building and return their valuables," said a police officer.

Trending Videos

Watch video: Mysterious deaths of starlets!


Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go

Go to top