In 21-yr-old, Mumbai police recruitment test's 5-km run finds its sixth victim

Jun 26, 2014, 08:04 IST | Anuradha Varanasi

A resident of Ahmednagar, Vijay Trimbake had completed two rounds in the drive; he suddenly collapsed in his brother’s Powai home on Tuesday and was declared dead on arrival at the hospital

Barely two weeks after the fifth aspirant died in a private hospital in Vikhroli after trying to complete the 5-km run, which is a part of the ongoing Mumbai Police constable recruitment tests, a 21-year-old hopeful, who had managed to complete the gruelling run, collapsed in his Powai residence.

Vijay Trimbake worked as an attendant at a toll naka and aspired to become a constable in the hope of a better future
Vijay Trimbake worked as an attendant at a toll naka and aspired to become a constable in the hope of a better future

His brother found him unconscious and took him to a civic hospital, where was declared dead on arrival. Ahmednagar native Vijay Trimbake’s brother returned home on Tuesday evening to find him lying unconscious in the house. “He had completed the first recruitment round on June 13 and another one on June 17.

He told us he had completed the 5-km run (in the second round) in 19 minutes. However, since then, he had been experiencing constant giddiness, nausea and fatigue,” said Arun Trimbake, the deceased’s brother. Aspirants are made to go through several rigorous physical tests before they are shortlisted.

Despite this, his relatives say he refused to visit a doctor, thinking the symptoms would eventually subside. Unfortunately, the young aspirant, who was probably close to getting a constable’s cap, suddenly collapsed in the Powai chawl where he was living with one of his brothers.

Vijay worked at a toll naka nearby and had participated in the police constable recruitment rounds in hope of a stable future. “On Tuesday afternoon, he wasn’t answering my calls. So, we went to his house and found him unconscious. We immediately rushed him to a nearby private hospital, which advised us to shift him to Rajawadi Hospital, Ghatkopar, as his condition was serious. He was declared dead on arrival there,” added Arun.

Vijay’s post-mortem was conducted in the hospital and his relatives took his body to Ahmednagar to perform the last rites. Requesting anonymity, a doctor from the hospital said that Trimbake’s viscera samples have been sent for the histopathology test to determine if he was suffering from any ailment. “The cause of death has been reserved as of now. Only once the test result is out will we be able to say conclusively why he collapsed suddenly,” said the doctor.

Go to top