Mumbai Crime: Dad kills 2-year-old, confesses to wife in chilling phone call

Jul 08, 2016, 08:13 IST | Rupsa Chakraborty

Police suspect that the man suffers from a mental disorder. However, there is no clarity on the motive; body of the toddler was found in a drain near rail tracks

Everything had been going as planned for Samina Khan. The 32-year-old resident of Beed arrived in the city, along with her husband, five daughters and two-year-old son, eight days ago to celebrate Eid with her family in Nagpada, with no inkling of the horror and tragedy that lay in wait.

Read Story: Mumbai Crime: Man kills month-old baby because he wanted a son

Kadir Amir Khan has been on the run since Tuesday
Kadir Amir Khan has been on the run since Tuesday

Samina’s world turned upside down on Tuesday when her husband, Kadir Amir Khan (40), and son, Kaif Khan, went missing. After a search through the locality and a day later, she lodged a complaint with the JJ Marg police station — still clutching onto the hope that the father would keep the boy safe. Around 9.30 am the same day, that hope was crushed by a chilling phone call from Kadir. The husband called up from a local phone booth to say that he had flung their son on railway tracks in Byculla.

Alerted by the family, the police found Kaif’s body in a drain near railway tracks between Byculla and Sandhurst Road stations.

On the run
The JJ Marg police filed a case against the absconding Kadir based on a complaint from Samina. “He doesn't have a mobile phone. So, we can’t even trace his last known location. But our investigation is on,” said Anil Kumbhare, senior inspector, JJ Marg police station.

Kaif was the youngest of Samina’s children.

Also Read: Mumbai: Fed up of drunkard son's abuse, 79-year-old man murders him

A post-mortem examination of his body was conducted at St George Hospital, which stated that the cause of death was drowning. “The body had bloated. There was no external injury mark,” said a forensic expert from the hospital.”

The police suspect that Kadir threw the toddler in the drain. “Since the boy was only two years old, he wouldn’t have been able to raise himself up.” Kaif’s last rites were performed at the Ghatkopar crematorium yesterday.

No word on motive
The motive behind the alleged killing is not clear. Gauriprasad Hiremath, inspector, Government Railway Police (GRP), CST, who took Samina’s statement, said she had no clue why her husband had resorted to killing his own son.

A senior GRP inspector said the police suspect that Kadir suffered from a mental health disorder. “The wife said he had been talking at length on black magic days ahead of the killing.”

Go to top