Ravindra Jain: A tribute to the Music Maestro
Veteran music composer and lyricist Ravindra Jain passed away on Friday at Lilavati Hospital in Bandra, Mumbai. He was a notable Hindi music composer and lyricist who started out in the early '70s. In a career spanning over four decades, he worked with big banners like RK Films and Rajshri Productions. Did you know he composed music for the hit song 'Thande Thande Paani Se'? We pay a tribute to the maestro...
1. Ravindra Jain hailed from Aligarh in Uttar Pradesh. He was born visually-handicapped. The doctors advised him not to take the strain to read for studies. His parents decided to teach him music instead. He had his formal education only till Standard 5.
2. He started singing at a young age by reciting bhajans and poetries at temples. He moved to Kolkata (then Calcutta) to pursue his career. In Kolkata, he taught music in schools and worked for radio. He eventually shifted to Mumbai.
3. From 'Saudagar' (1973) and 'Ankhiyon Ke Jharokhon Se' (1978) to 'Vivaah' (2006) and 'Ek Vivaah Aisa Bhi' (2009), Ravindra Jain had composed music for several Rajshri films over the years.
4. Ravindra Jain was closely associated with Raj Kapoor for whom he composed many songs in films like 'Do Jasoos' (1975), 'Ram Teri Ganga Maili' (1985) and 'Henna' (1991).
5. The title of the SRK-Kajol blockbuster 'Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge' (1995) is taken from the lyrics of the song composed by Ravindra Jain titled 'Le Jayenge Le Jayenge' from the film 'Chor Machaye Shor' (1974).
Ravindra Jain with his wife Divya and son Ayush on his 71st birthday at Shanmukhananda hall in Mumbai. Pic/Atul Kamble
6. He was recording with Lata Mangeshkar for the song 'Tera Mera Saath Rahe' from 'Saudagar' (1973) when he was informed of his father's demise. Since it wasn't possible for him to reach his hometown, Aligarh, in time to attend the funeral, he decided to finish the recording first and then leave.
7. South Indian singer Yesudas' popular Hindi song 'Gori Tera Gaon Bada Pyara' from 'Chitchor' (1976) was composed by Ravindra Jain. Jain was so mesmerised by Yesudas' voice that he had said if ever he happened to regain his vision, the first person he would like to see would be Yesudas.
8. Besides films, he had composed music for popular mythological TV serials like 'Ramayan', 'Krishna' and 'Jai Hanuman'.
9. Ravindra Jain was awarded Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India, in 2015.
10. He won the Filmfare Award for Best Music Director for 'Ram Teri Ganga Maili' (1985). He received two other Filmfare nominations for Best Music Director for films 'Chitchor' (1976) and 'Ankhiyon Ke Jharokhon Se' (1978). He also earned Filmfare nominations for Best Lyricist for songs 'Ankhiyon Ke Jharokhon Se' and 'Main Hoon Khushrang Henna'.
10 memorable songs composed by Ravindra Jain
'Gori Tera Gaon Bada Pyara' (Chitchor)
'Thande Thande Pani Se' (Pati Patni Aur Woh)
'Ghunghroo Ki Tarah' (Chor Machaye Shor)
'Sun Sahiba Sun' (Ram Teri Ganga Maili)
'Main Hoon Khushrang Henna' (Henna)
'Le Jayenge Le Jayenge' (Chor Machaye Shor)
'Sajna Hai Mujhe Sajna Ke Liye' (Saudagar)
'Ankhiyon Ke Jharokhon Se' ('Ankhiyon Ke Jharokhon Se')
'Jab Deep Jale Aana' (Chitchor)
'Geet Gata Chal' (Geet Gata Chal)
DISCLAIMER: mid-day and its affiliates shall have no liability for any views, thoughts and comments expressed on this article.
Beyonce sizzles at Isha Ambani's pre-wedding bash