Home / News / World News / Article / China lifts nearly 2-year ban on seafood from Japan over Fukushima wastewater

China lifts nearly 2-year ban on seafood from Japan over Fukushima wastewater

A notice from the customs agency said the ban had been lifted Sunday and that imports from most of Japan would be resumed. The ban, imposed in August 2023, was a major blow to Japan's fisheries industry. China was the biggest overseas market for Japanese seafood, accounting for more than one-fifth of its exports

Listen to this article :
The ban will remain in place for seafood from 10 of Japan's 47 prefectures, including Fukushima and nearby ones. Representational pic

The ban will remain in place for seafood from 10 of Japan's 47 prefectures, including Fukushima and nearby ones. Representational pic

China has reopened its market to seafood from Japan after a nearly two-year ban over the discharge of slightly radioactive wastewater from the tsunami-destroyed Fukushima nuclear power plant.

A notice from the customs agency said the ban had been lifted Sunday and that imports from most of Japan would be resumed.

The ban, imposed in August 2023, was a major blow to Japan's fisheries industry. China was the biggest overseas market for Japanese seafood, accounting for more than one-fifth of its exports.

How do you like the new new mid-day.com experience? Share your feedback and help us improve.

Read Next Story
Earthquake of magnitude 3.9 strikes Nepal

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All

Advertisement