Home / Sports / Other Sports / Article / Alex de Minaur dumps Kei Nishikori at the US Open

Alex de Minaur dumps Kei Nishikori at the US Open

Australia's De Minaur, 20, promises to keep pushing top players after shocking Japan's World No. 7 Nishikori to enter pre-quarters

  • WhatsAppBookmarkBookmark
Listen to this article :
Australia's Alex de Minaur reacts during his third round US Open match against Kei Nishikori. Pic/AFP

Australia's Alex de Minaur reacts during his third round US Open match against Kei Nishikori. Pic/AFP

New York: Alex de Minaur, 20, said "this is where I want to be" after dumping out Kei Nishikori at the US Open on Friday to reach the Last 16 at a Grand Slam for the first time. The Australian defeated 2014 runner-up Kei Nishikori in four sets to earn a first win over a Top-10 player at the 12th attempt and advance to a meeting with Grigor Dimitrov or Polish lucky loser Kamil Majchrzak.

De Minaur also moved on from the anguish of last year’s five-set loss against Marin Cilic in the third round, and is on a potential quarter-final collision course with five-time champion Roger Federer. "I had a little bit of a thriller last year versus Cilic and was two sets to love up. I was glad I could finally get the win," De Minaur said after beating Nishikori 6-2, 6-4, 2-6, 6-3.

Read Next Story
Serena Williams charges towards historic 7th US Open title

Trending Stories

Latest Photoscta-pos

Latest VideosView All

Latest Web StoriesView All

Mid-Day FastView All