Home / News / World News / Article /
Ebola death toll in DR Congo rises to 204 as outbreak spreads across region; WHO declares emergency
Updated On: 24 May, 2026 10:38 AM IST | Addis Ababa, Ethiopia | AFP
The World Health Organization has declared the situation an international health emergency and raised the risk level in DR Congo to “very high.” Health agencies warn that up to 10 African countries are at risk due to cross-border movement and insecurity in the region
-1779599304262_d.png)
Health workers wearing protective equipment gather to disinfect the isolation area for Ebola patients. PIC/AFP
Officials in the Democratic Republic of Congo updated the death toll from the Ebola outbreak to 204 late Saturday, hours after the Red Cross said three volunteers had died there and Uganda confirmed three new Ebola cases.
A health ministry statement said 204 deaths had been recorded in three provinces of the vast central African country, from 867 suspected cases. The last World Health Organization toll on Friday put the number of deaths at 177 from 750 suspected cases.
How do you like the new new mid-day.com experience? Share your feedback and help us improve.



