Home / News / World News / Article /
Oman's new ruler takes oath as Sultan Qaboos dies at 79
Updated On: 12 January, 2020 07:45 AM IST | Muscat | Agencies
The official Omani agency ONA announced the news early on Saturday in a message without providing details of the causes of the demise of the Sultan, who travelled to Belgium last month for a medical check-up

Haitham bin Tariq al-Said
Muscat: Oman's Culture Minister Haitham bin Tariq al-Said was on Saturday named as the successor of the late Sultan Qaboos bin Said al-Said, who died at the age of 79 after ruling the Arab country for nearly five decades. Haitham bin Tariq al-Said took the oath of office on Saturday after a meeting of the Royal Family Council. The former Minister is a cousin of Qaboos, the last Sultan of the Middle East, who had no heir or a designated successor.
The official Omani agency ONA announced the news early on Saturday in a message without providing details of the causes of the demise of the Sultan, who travelled to Belgium last month for a medical check-up. "With great sorrow and deep sadness... the royal court mourns His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said, who passed away on Friday," it said.
How do you like the new new mid-day.com experience? Share your feedback and help us improve.



