Whisky restores elderly man's eyesight after vodka blinds him

Published: 03 December, 2012 10:36 IST | ANI |

A pensioner from Taranaki, New Zealand, who went blind after his vodka reacted with his diabetes medication, had his eyes saved by a bottle of whisky

65-year-old Denis Duthie decided to have a few drinks to celebrate his parents’ 50th marriage anniversary.

Hatke news, whisky restores man's vision

But when he walked into the bedroom of his home, he suddenly found that he could not see anything.

“I thought it had got dark and I’d missed out on a bit of time but it was only about half-past-three in the afternoon,” the Daily Mail quoted him as telling the New Zealand Herald.

“I was fumbling around the bedroom for the light switch but ... I’d just gone completely blind,” he said.

Duthie hoped he would be able to sleep it off, but after waking up next morning he was still unable to see a thing, so he went to Taranaki Base Hospital.

As surgery got underway, the doctors thought that Duthie could have formaldehyde poisoning, which can be treated by administering ethanol- a strong type of alcohol found in drinks like whisky.

However, the hospital did not have enough medical ethanol so a registrar was sent to the store to buy a bottle of Johnnie Walker Black Label whisky.

The whisky was then dripped into his stomach through a tube.

“I woke up five days later and I could see as soon as I could open my eyes,” Duthie said.

Sign up for all the latest news, top galleries and trending videos from Mid-day.com

loading image
This website uses cookie or similar technologies, to enhance your browsing experience and provide personalised recommendations. By continuing to use our website, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Cookie Policy. OK