PrevNext

No question of stopping West Indies players from IPL: BCCI secy Sanjay Patel

The West Indies team may have abruptly decided to end their India tour yesterday due to a pay dispute with West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), but their decision is not going to jeopardise the Caribbean cricketers’ participation in the cash-rich Indian Premier League (IPL) T20 next season.

Sanjay Patel, BCCI secretary
Sanjay Patel, BCCI secretary

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Patel made it clear that the West Indies players’ participation in the T20 extravaganza is safe. Dwayne Bravo, Chris Gayle, Kieron Pollard and Sunil Narine have become household names in India due their performances in the IPL.

“There is no question of stopping them (West Indies players) from playing in the IPL. Our problem is with the West Indies Board and not their players. Whatever is happening is between their players and Board. The BCCI is not at all concerned with it. We have a contract with the WICB. Also, a lot of these West Indies players are bought by the franchises,” Patel told mid-day from Baroda yesterday.

Patel informed that the BCCI has called an urgent Working Committee meeting in Hyderabad on October 21 to discuss the matter. “Members will discuss what sort of a relationship to have with the West Indies board henceforth, and whether we should play with them in future will also be discussed,” said Patel.

ECB was keen
Patel slammed WICB for pull out. “This is a completely unprofessional attitude. We will send a legal notice to them and also take it up with the ICC. We were lucky that our good old friends Sri Lanka agreed to play a series (five ODIs from November 1-15) at such a short notice. The English Cricket Board (ECB) was also willing to help us by sending their team. But by the time we got their reply, we had already committed to play with Sri Lanka,” Patel signed off.

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply