Next

Quickie divorce for Nigella, Saatchi

British art collector Charles Saatchi and his celebrity chef wife Nigella Lawson said on Monday they would not make any financial claims against each other to ensure a swift divorce.


Fast track: Nigella Lawson and her husband Charles Saatchi are to be divorced by the end of July. File pic

Saatchi (70), was cautioned by police last month for assaulting his 53-year-old wife, after pictures emerged showing him grabbing her neck at a London restaurant.

The couple, both multi-millionaires in their own right, said in a joint statement that the first stage of the divorce would go through on July 31.

“A divorce will proceed on the undefended basis, the decree nisi is to be pronounced on 31 July, and neither party will be making any financial claims against the other,” they said.

They said Lawson had employed Fiona Shackleton, the divorce lawyer used by both Prince Charles and Paul McCartney, while Saatchi was representing himself.

“Both parties would appreciate privacy for themselves and their children at this difficult time,” their statement said.

Saatchi announced his desire to end the 10-year marriage in the press earlier this month, just days after he was forced to defend himself against accusations of domestic violence.

He said the pictures of him with his hand around Lawson’s neck showed a ‘playful tiff’, but he accepted a police caution for assault.

The art collector said he wanted a divorce because Lawson had not come out publicly and defended him over the photographs.

“I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so,” he said.

“And I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way.”

Nigella plans to move to US
Nigella Lawson has revealed to her friends that she will be moving to the US after she is done shooting the next series of her American cookery programme.

Putin, the submarine man
Vladimir Putin’s latest media event was modest by the stunt-happy Russian leader’s standards -- a half-hour trip to the bottom of the Gulf of Finland to see a shipwreck. Putin on Monday rode a small submersible craft 60 metres (200 feet) down to see the remains of the naval frigate Oleg, which sank in 1869. Putin’s penchant for adventurous stunts included a trip to the bottom of Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest lake, and a scuba dive in which he brought up pottery shards. pic/afp 

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply