- Latest News
- Sunday Mid-Day
- Mumbai Guide
- Brand Media
- Mid-Day Gold
- Content Services
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has imposed a lockdown in the country till April 14. International flights were grounded on March 22 and domestic flights on March 25. The Maharashtra government placed the state under lockdown on March 18, halting local trains and public bus services, shutting down offices and businesses.
Two people tested positive for Coronavirus in Pune after landing in Mumbai with a group of 40 people on March 1, from Dubai and taking an Ola to Pune. Two days later, six members of the group were admitted to Kasturba Hospital on March 3.
A 64-year-old man among the 14 patients who tested positive for Coronavirus died on the morning of March 17 marking it the first death in Mumbai and Maharashtra of a positive patient. He had earlier been admitted at Hinduja hospital for other cardiac ailments and officials from the state health department said that he died of multi-organ failure.The patient had recently travelled to Dubai and had been admitted at Hinduja Hospital. He tested positive for COVID-19 and was shifted to Kasturba hospital on March 12. Within the next couple of days, his wife and son also tested positive and were admitted at Kasturba Hospital.
On March 13, The two among those who came in 'first contact' with one patient already found positive here three days ago, were tested to have contracted the virus. They were admitted to Mayo Hospital for treatment and their condition is stable. A case was reported from Yavatmal on March 16, where a 41-year-old woman tested positive. She had travelled with the group of 40 people to Dubai. All the six patients were admitted to Kasturba Hospital where they were treated and is now said to be in a stable condition.
A 33-year-old woman from Kalyan and her three-year-old daughter was found to be positive on March 17, making the toddler the youngest patient in the state. A coronavirus-positive man travelled by the Mumbai-Solapur Siddheshwar Express on March 6 and returned by the same train on March 8. As per details available, after returning from the US, he took a cab to Kalyan and boarded the train's S-10 compartment. After reaching Solapur, he stayed there for a day to attend a wedding. He returned by the same train with possibly three companions in coaches P1, P2 and P3. State authorities have formed teams to trace the taxi driver and others who may have come in contact with the man. The man has been quarantined.
A 68-year-old woman from the eastern suburbs tested positive for COVID-19 on March 17 after which nine other people who came in close contact with her were admitted to Kasturba Hospital on March 19, The woman was working as a house help for a 49-year-old man who also recently tested positive. Civic officials have been tracking seven cab drivers who had ferried him around the city.
Four passengers were deboarded from Bandra-Delhi Sarai Rohilla (DEE) Garib Rath train (Coach G4-G5) at Palghar station and handed over to medical authorities on March 18 after co-pasengers raised alarm after noticing 'Quarantine' stamp on their hands. The four passengers had flown from Germany and were headed to Surat, according to officials of the Western Railway.
A 45-year-old man who was told by Kasturba Hospital that he need not get tested was found to be positive for Coronavirus five days later. The man's relatives said that while he has not travelled internationally, he did travel to Delhi on March 8 and returned on March 12.
A 65-year-old man became the fourth COVID-19 patient to die in the city on March 24. Civic officials said he had travelled to Dubai and landed in Ahmedabad on March 15. He came to Mumbai on March 20 after which his condition was worsened. He was admitted at Kasturba on March 23 with fever, cough and breathlessness. Despite all treatment he died the same day, said deputy executive health officer.
India had first reported three cases of the coronavirus in January 2020. All three patients from Kerala had returned from the affected Wuhan city. The three students, including a woman medico, from the state who studied in Wuhan university had tested positive for the virus in Thrissur, Alappuzha and Kasaragod districts in the last few days. The Kerala government had then declared the outbreak a 'state calamity'.
The three patients recovered from the virus and were discharged from their respective hospital by the end of February. State health minister KK Shailaja, announcing their discharge from the hospitals, said "We can say that we have succeeded in the first part which is containing the virus. 3 students who were found to be corona-positive were isolated, now they are stable. They were cured. From contact tracing to isolation and treatment, we have done everything in a systematic manner."
16 Indians among the crew onboard the cruise ship Diamond Princess quarantined off the coast of Japan were tested positive for novel coronavirus, the Indian Embassy in Tokyo said on February 19, adding that they have been shifted to hospitals in Japan for treatment. They were not permitted to return to India.
On March 2, two more positive coronavirus cases -- one in Delhi and another in Telangana -were reported by the Union Health Ministry.The person from Delhi had travelled to Italy, it said adding he is being diagnosed at RML hospital. The other person with the coronavirus infection has a travel history to Dubai, the ministry said, adding that the patients are being closely monitored.
One more person was tested positive for the pandemic after he travelled in an Air India Vienna-Delhi flight on February 25. According to a report published on March 3, the crew of the flight have been asked to self-quarantine for a period of 14 days.
The wife of an Italian tourist found to have been infected with coronavirus also tested positive for the virus here on March 3 and her samples were sent to the National Institute of Virology in Pune for another test, a health official said. The couple has been kept in isolation at the Jaipur's Sawai Man Singh Hospital
According to Health Ministry sources, 21 Italian tourists and three Indian tour operators were sent to an ITBP quarantine facility in Delhi on March 3 for suspected coronavirus exposure. The sources said these foreigners, 13 women and eight men, were in the same group of which the Italian and his wife were tested positive in Jaipur. All these people, staying at a five-star hotel in south Delhi, have been put in "preventive isolation" at the ITBP camp and their samples will be taken on March 4, sources said.
The ITBP centre already has 112 people, 76 Indians and 36 foreigners flown into the country on February 27 after they were evacuated by an IAF plane from Wuhan in China, the epicentre of the coronavirus.
Two private schools in Noida cancelled classes on March 3 for the next few days as a precautionary measure over the father of a student testing positive for coronavirus, Health ministry officials said. The two schools announced their closure in messages sent to the parents, a day after the Union Health Ministry reported two fresh cases of coronavirus, one of them in Delhi.
One of the schools, where the Delhi patient's son is a primary class student, said it will remain shut from March 4 to 6. The parent had thrown a birthday party last week for the child, triggering fears that the students who attended it might be at risk. Samples of six people from Noida have been taken to Delhi for tests, an official said. Three of them are children-- two aged 12 and the third five-year-old. The adults include a couple and the mother of two of the children, Health Department officials said. Officials said these six people have test negative on Wednesday. However, they have been kept self-quarantined at their home for the next 14 days and if symptoms for COVID-19 develop, they would be retested.
As coronavirus cases spread across the country, the DGCA on March 3 asked airlines and airports to take specific measures such as providing protective gears like surgical masks and gloves to crew members and passengers and having multiple hand sanitising points in terminals. The aviation regulator stated that airports and airlines must ensure that each aircraft arriving from South Korea, Japan and Italy is subjected to disinfection process before the boarding begins for the next flight on the plane.
The Health Ministry issued the travel advisory suspending all regular visas/e-visas granted on or before March 3 to nationals of Italy, Iran, South Korea, Japan, who have not yet entered India. The advisory also suspends visa on arrival (VoA) issued by March 3 to Japan and South Korea nationals who have not yet entered India.
A three-year-old boy, who had travelled to Italy with his parents and returned to Kerala, and tested positive, is being monitored and is under treatment at the Ernakulam Medical college. Later, his parents were also found to be tested positive. State Health Minister KK Shailaja on said that the administration has strengthened surveillance after more cases of COVID-19 emerged.
Kerala Chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan also urged people to avoid crowded places like visiting cinema theatres, temples, mosques, churches and to avoid all festivals of public gathering till the end of the month. Meanwhile, a man under observation for suspected coronavirus infection at the isolation ward of the district hospital here fled, but was tracked and brought back within hours. The man was among those who had interacted with the three-member family who returned from Italy and have tested positive for the virus.
According to the Health Ministry, India has so far evacuated 948 people from coronavirus-affected countries. Of these, 900 were Indians and 48 belonged to different nationalities including from the Maldives, Myanmar, Bangladesh, China, the USA, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, Nepal, South Africa and Peru. Moreover, 83 evacuees from Italy who arrived in India on March 11 have been housed at the Manesar quarantine facility. All patients in hospitals are being treated and reported to be stable, officials said.
External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said on March 12 that over 6000 Indian nationals are stranded in different provinces of coronavirus-hit Iran and the Indian government is making focused efforts for their safe return to India. The minister informed that a team of six Indian health officials has been deputed to Iran in order to set up testing and sampling facilities there.