Chennai: A total of 54 women workers of a fish processing unit in Tamil Nadu fell unconscious after inhaling a poisonous gas, a senior official.
The accident took place when an ammonia gas pipeline burst at Nila Fish Processing Unit in Tuticorin district on Wednesday night.
"A total of 54 women workers fell unconscious following an ammonia gas pipeline burst. They were admitted to a hospital and their condition is stable," M. Ravi Kumar, district collector of Tuticorin, told IANS over phone.
He said an inquiry would be conducted by the inspector of factories and fire service officials, and action would be taken based on their report.
"No arrests have been made. The police are investigating," Kumar said.
Sir Geoff Boycott's birthday: Top 10 opening batsmen in Test cricket history
Photos: Malaika Arora Khan, Arbaaz Khan's family dinner in Bandra
Photos: Soha Ali Khan and hubby Kunal Kemmu watch '31st October'
Photos: Ileana D'Cruz spotted in Bandra
Photos: Sombre Shilpa Shetty with husband Raj Kundra in Juhu