Next

Assam-Nagaland clashes: Three killed in police firing, indefinite curfew imposed

Fresh violence in Assam's Golaghat town saw three persons being killed and six others injured in police firing after which indefinite curfew was clamped in the areas

Golaghat/Jorhat: Three persons were killed and six injured in police firing in Assam's Golaghat town on Wednesday when a mob tried to set ablaze the deputy commisioner's office and a police station and targetted a hospital, after which indefinite curfew was clamped in the areas.

The mob was protesting yesterday's police action at Rangajon where people were allegedly dragged out of their homes and beaten up.

The police fired tear gas shells to control the mob of over 1,000 people at Erengapara Chariali in Golaghat town marching to the DC's office and police station to set them on fire.

When the protestors began throwing stones at the police while reaching within 300 metre of the two buildings, the police opened fire killing three persons and injuring six, police said.

Golaghat district Superintendent of Police Siladitya Chetia told reporters that the police tried to halt the protestors as per prescribed rules but had to perform its duty of controlling the situation when they remained defiant.

"Police had to take action as the mob was targeting public service and public utility buildings and Kushal Konwar Civil Hospital in the town.

"Also civilians were injured in stone-pelting by the protestors warranting the firing," he said.

The incident occured when local TV news channels were beaming live the situation in the area.

Some policemen received minor injuries in stone-throwing, the sources added. The injured were admitted to the hospital, they said.

According to latest report, home minister Rajnath Singh has called chief ministers of Assam and Nagaland asking them to defuse tension along the borders of the two states. Rajnath told both the CMs to come up with a joint statement on Thursday.

PMO seeks report on clashes; MHA submits within hours

New Delhi: The Home Ministry today submitted a report to the Prime Minister's Office on the ongoing violence along the Assam-Nagaland border, where nine persons were killed and 10,000 people rendered homeless, after Prime Minister Narendra Modi sought details on it.

Principal Secretary to the Prime Minister Nripendra Mishra asked the Home Ministry to send details of the situation along the border in Golaghat district in Assam where violence erupted about a week ago after armed groups from Nagaland allegedly attacked villagers in Assam.

"We have already submitted the report to the PMO," Home Ministry sources said.

The report was sent within hours of the PMO's communication seeking details of the situation.

The Home Ministry has already sent around 1,000 paramilitary personnel to be deployed along the Assam-Nagaland border to defuse the situation.

Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi and his Nagaland counterpart T R Zelian will meet in Guwahati tomorrow to find a way out to resolve the dispute.

Gogoi was on Sunday hackled by some villagers when he had visited the violence-hit Uriamghat in Golaghat district.

The Chief Minister had also alleged inaction by CRPF deployed at the troubled site to prevent the attacks from across the state border. However, Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju today refuted the allegation of Gogoi terming it as "baseless".

At least 18 protesters were also injured after police fired rubber pellets and resorted to lathicharge at Rangajan in Golaghat district yesterday.

Police said a group of protesters turned violent and attacked the police and CRPF personnel deployed in the area following a road blockade agitation launched by them.

The protesters were agitating against alleged failure of the security forces to protect the people at Uriamghat against the attack by armed groups from Nagaland killing nine persons and rendering over 10,000 homeless last week. 

You May Like

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply