Brian Lara - The Prince
One of the finest batsmen in the world, Brian Lara, celebrates his birthday today.
Brian Lara, a West Indies player, can undoubtedly be ranked among the best players of all time in cricket. As his name may have faded away with time but his memory shall always remain. On his day, we take a look at some interesting, less-known facts about ‘the Prince of Trinidad’.
Here’s a little more about the Southpaw from Windies –
- In 2004, Brian Lara became the only batsman to have reached an individual score of 400 in International Test cricket. Earlier in 1994, Lara had set the highest test individual score of 375 against England which was broken by Matthew Hayden’s 380 in 2003. 6 months later, Lara reset the record with his epic 400* against England again.
- Brian Lara scored 18 runs in his last ODI game in the World Cup 2007.
- Brian Lara’s highest ODI score is 169 against Sri Lanka in 1995.
- Brian Lara is the 5th highest international test run scorer.
- Brian Lara set a record for the highest individual score (501) in first class cricket.
- Brian Lara set the record as the fourth highest maiden test century (277) by any batsman.
- Brian Lara is the only player to score both 2 Test triple centuries and 2 career quadruple centuries.
- Brian Lara is also a golf player and has won titles in golf tournaments in the Caribbean.
- Brian Lara has also taken 4 wickets in ODI's with a leg-break.
- According to Sri Lanka's Muralitharan, one of the best bowlers in cricket, Brian Lara is the hardest player to bowl to.