Cole joy for Roy!

Cole was charged with misconduct by the FA on Monday after the England star’s outburst on Twitter last week in response to the organisation’s criticism of his evidence in the John Terry racial abuse hearing.

The 31-year-old was quick to delete the tweet — in which he branded the FA “a bunch of t***s” — and also issued a statement apologising for his rant, but Bernstein revealed that Cole had also said sorry to him in person on Monday.

Prince William (left) shares a light moment with England defender Ashley Cole (centre) during a training session yesterday. Pic/Getty Images

Bernstein also stressed that it was down to Hodgson to decide whether the Chelsea full-back plays against San Marino in Friday’s World Cup qualifier after some pundits called for him to be banned as punishment.

Hodgson, speaking at a press conference at the official opening of the National Football Centre in Burton, said: “I’m pleased the chairman has gracefully accepted the apology from Ashley. I know how saddened he was by it and I’m glad it’s been resolved. “He’s played 98 times (for England) and hardly missed a game when he’s fit.

“He has been a regular for many years as one of the best, if not the best, left-back in the world. No one, I don’t think, who is fair minded could criticise his commitment to the England shirt.

“His contrition is greater because he realises that he might have put his position in jeopardy and I’m very happy he hasn’t done that.

“The important thing for me was that the matter got resolved. He immediately tried to rectify the mistake and apologised for it. I always hoped this would be sorted out and I’m very happy with the outcome.”

While Hodgson is free to pick Cole, who will reach 100 caps if he features in both the qualifiers, the defender has been playing with slight ankle injury for several weeks and it is uncertain if he will face against San Marino.

Blues ace Ashley gets Royal ticking off
England left-back Ashley Cole appeared to get a ribbing for his Twitter rant against the Football Association (FA) yesterday from none other than its president.

Prince William, who is the FA’s president, met with the Three Lions squad while officially unveiling the new multi-million pound national training facility at Burton along with wife Kate. Cole, who made a grovelling apology to the FA, wasn’t spared a joke at his expense in front the Duke of Cambridge. “If you continue to be a naughty boy, they will take your Twitter account off you,” William told Cole. William was seen joking with Cole, which left the rest of the England players in splits. 

You May Like



    Leave a Reply