Fire in South Mumbai: Fire department finds no equipment

Officials says Tirupati Towers, had no functional fire-fighting equipment; no casualties

A fire broke out on the fourth floor of the 14-storey Tirupati Towers next to Mahalaxmi temple on Saturday. While a senior citizen complained of difficulty in breathing, no other injuries were reported. Chief Fire Officer PS Rahangdale said, “There was fire-fighting equipment in the building but it was not functioning. We will take action against the society as per procedure.”

Also read: Major fire breaks out near Mahalaxmi temple; no casualties

Tirupati Towers in Mahalaxmi caught fire at 3.25 pm on Saturday
Tirupati Towers in Mahalaxmi caught fire at 3.25 pm on Saturday

The fire broke out at the Bhulabhai Desai Road building at around 3.25 pm. It started in Flat No. 401, in the B-wing, allegedly due to a short circuit in the air-conditioner, but the fire brigade is yet to confirm this. The fire was confined to the flat’s electrical wiring, installations, kitchen articles, household articles, split AC in an area of 2,200 sq ft. Eight fire engines and five water tankers were rushed to the spot.

Dancer Shiamak Davar leaves Tirupati Towers, where a fire broke out on Saturday. One of the residents works as a manager in Davar’s dance company
Dancer Shiamak Davar leaves Tirupati Towers, where a fire broke out on Saturday. One of the residents works as a manager in Davar’s dance company

Meanwhile, the smoke spread through the entire building. People rushed down the staircase or crossed over to the neighbouring wing and took the lift downstairs. There was panic since close to 120 families live in the three wings of the society. A senior citizen, Ajitkumar Rathod, 83, reported difficulty breathing and had to be rushed to Breach Candy Hospital.

People helping an elderly wheel-chair-bound lady across the road after the building she stayed in caught fire. Pics/Bipin Kokate
People helping an elderly wheel-chair-bound lady across the road after the building she stayed in caught fire. Pics/Bipin Kokate

Another resident, Anil Yadav, was also treated for breathing problems in the fire brigade ambulance.

The fire was doused completely at 6.23 pm.

Voices

Hitesh Vagani
My mother stays alone in an eighth-floor flat. She is 87 years old. It is due to the helpful behaviour of neighbours that she is alive. They told her about the fire and helped her down the stairs

Tina, senior citizen
The smoke came as high as our 11th floor flat. We were stranded. The fire brigade had to come rescue us. That God we are safe

You May Like

MORE FROM JAGRAN

0 Comments

    Leave a Reply