In Shastri-Ganguly row, Sanjay Manjrekar takes a dig at former Team Director

Reacting to Ravi Shastri's 'disrespectful Sourav Ganguly' comment, former india cricketer Sanjay Manjrekar in a tweet has suggested that Shastri isn't used to 'rejections' from BCCI and also backed Anil Kumble as coach

Former India batsman and television commentator Sanjay Manjrekar and former India Team Director Ravi Shastri may be both from Mumbai. They both also played together for India and the state for a while and share the commentary box as well, but the two don't seem to see eye-to-eye about some issues.

Manjrekar, who played 37 Tests and 74 ODIs for India, has time and again had aired his differences with Shastri on various topics.

Sanjay Manjrekar and Sourav Ganguly
Sanjay Manjrekar and Sourav Ganguly

Manjrekar on Wednesday reacted to Shastri's comment calling Sourav Ganguly 'disrespectful' on Twitter. His tweet said that Shastri was more miffed at being rejected by BCCI, which was a "new experience for him" and termed Anil Kumble as the "better choice". 

A "disappointed" Shastri had on Tuesday hit out at Ganguly saying he was "disrespectful" of the candidate he was interviewing and the job of selecting the coach he was entrusted with.

Attacking Ganguly for absenting himself when his turn for interviewing came last week, Shastri said that he (Ganguly) should attend such a meeting next time when someone is being interviewed for such a post.

Ravi Shastri
Ravi Shastri

"Not miffed at all. I am just disappointed. Nothing surprises me in cricket. It's nothing to do with Sourav, but I am disappointed because that person was disrespectful of the candidate who was going to be interviewed and disrespectful of the job he was entrusted to do," he told India Today.

Interestingly, this is not the first time that Manjrekar has slammed Shastri.

Manjrekar had in September 2015 hit out at the aggressive philosophy developed by then India's Team Director and Test captain Virat Kohli after in-form pacer Ishant Sharma was slapped with a one-Test ban for the ugly send-off during the third Test against Sri Lanka.

"This is where I am a bit concerned with the Virat Kohli-Ravi Shastri partnership. That the Indians are not trying to tone their behaviour down after Australia, and have got into ugly confrontations with even a team like Sri Lanka, tells me that they don't see these actions as misdemeanours at all.

Sanjay Manjrekar
Sanjay Manjrekar

Perhaps this is all part of their new brand of aggressive cricket. If that's the case, it does not make any cricketing sense at all. For this version of aggressive cricket has cost India the services of their strike bowler, a player who is in great form, in a crucial Test match," Manjrekar had written in his column for ESPNCricinfo.

Then, in October 2015 during the ODI series against South Africa, Manjrekar had again criticised Shastri for allegedly abusing Wankhede stadium curator Sudhir Naik.

This was his tweet after Kumble was selected: 

You May Like



    Leave a Reply