Los Angeles: 'Ghostbusters' reboot director Paul Feig has confirmed that Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy and 'Saturday Night Live' stars Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon will lead the film's cast.
Negotiations are ongoing, but the quartet are expected to sign on as the specter-seeking, poltergeist-punishing, phantom-following foursome in the reboot, which is eyeing a summer shoot in New York, The Hollywood Reporter said. Feig addressed widely-published reports by sharing a collage of pictures of all four actresses on Twitter.
McCarthy and Wiig have worked with Feig before, both breaking out in the director's 'Bridesmaids'. Jones, who is currently on-screen in Chris Rock's 'Top Five', joined SNL early last year and this fall was promoted to feature player status.
McKinnon has been on SNL since 2012 and last year was nominated for an Emmy for her work. The film is set for release on July 22, 2016, Feig said on Twitter.
The 'Ghostbusters' reboot has endured a long development process. Original director Ivan Reitman was on board to return, but while original cast-members Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson had agreed to reprise their characters, Bill Murray proved elusive. Reitman then bowed out of the project when Ramis passed away last year. Following Reitman's departure, Feig was approached to direct and re-conceived the project as a reboot starring an all-female cast.