Narendra Modi, Barack Obama, world leaders condemn Orlando shooting
India Prime Minister Narendra Modi, US President Barack Obama, British Prime Minister David Cameron and a host of other world leaders have condemned the ghastly shooting incident at a night club in the US that killed 50 people.
Barack Obama, Narendra Modi and David Cameron
Shocked at the shootout in Orlando, USA. My thoughts & prayers are with the bereaved families and the injured.— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) June 12, 2016
US President Barack Obama described the tragedy as an 'act of terror.'
Bitish Prime Minister David Cameron has condemned the shooting incident at a night club saying he is 'horrified' by the attack.
I'm horrified by reports of the overnight shooting in Orlando. My thoughts are with the victims and their families.— David Cameron (@David_Cameron) June 12, 2016
In a message to US President Barack Obama on Monday, Mukherjee said: "I was shocked and deeply saddened to hear of the deadly attack against innocent civilians in Orlando earlier today. I offer my deepest sympathies to all those who have been affected by this terrible tragedy." He said that India condemns terrorism in "all its forms and manifestations" and that there can be no justification for such senseless acts of violence. "This event is yet another grim reminder that the world must come together to address, comprehensively and urgently, the scourge of terrorism, its perpetrators and also those who support or harbour them," Mukherjee added. He said the people of India "stand by the people of the US" in their "moment of grief and mourning. We pray for the families that have lost loved ones and for the swift recovery of the injured," he said.
UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon "extends his deepest condolences to the families of the victims and expresses his solidarity with the government and people of the US," Xinhua quoted a statement as saying.
Philip Hammond, the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, also tweeted, "Shocked by shooting in Orlando". He noted that the Foreign and Commonwealth Office is in contact with the local authorities, adding, "Thoughts are with victims and families."
Shocked by shooting in #Orlando. More than 50 killed or wounded. FCO in contact w/local authorities. Thoughts are with victims & families— Philip Hammond (@PHammondMP) June 12, 2016
The presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton said she was 'devastated' by America's worst mass shooting incident at a gay nightclub in Orlando while her Republican rival Donald Trump said it was an act of 'possible terrorism.' Hillary Clinton, the former US secretary of state, offered a tweet signed "-H" to indicate it was from her personally.
Horrific incident in FL. Praying for all the victims & their families. When will this stop? When will we get tough, smart & vigilant?— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) June 12, 2016
Woke up to hear the devastating news from FL. As we wait for more information, my thoughts are with those affected by this horrific act. -H— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) June 12, 2016
Armed with an assault rifle and a handgun, the attacker Omar Mateen opened fire on revellers in the packed gay nightclub on Sunday morning.
The FBI said the 29-year-old, who was known to US authorities, legally purchased two firearms within the last week.