'Pehredaar Piya Ki' pulled off air, producer claims I&B Ministry didn't find anything objectionable

Aug 30, 2017, 20:05 IST | Sonil Dedhia

It was announced yesterday that Pehredaar Piya Ki, one of the most controversial shows on Indian television in recent times, will go off air

Calm down, Pehredaar fans!

It was announced yesterday that 'Pehredaar Piya Ki', one of the most controversial shows on Indian television in recent times, will go off air.

This decision comes days after Broadcasting Content Complaints Council (BCCC) decided to change the show's slot from prime time to late night. The drama that revolved around an 18-year-old woman getting married to a nine-year-old boy received flak for its objectionable content.

Speaking to mid-day, producer Shashi Sumeet Mittal said that the decision to pull the plug on the show wasn’t taken abruptly. "It was a mutual decision between the channel and us," she said.

Earlier this month, I&B Minister Smriti Irani had written to the BCCC, asking them to review the content of the show. Mittal, however, denies that the I&B Ministry had any role to play in the show being taken off air. "We didn’t have any pressure from anyone. In fact, after watching the show, the Ministry had allowed us to continue with it as they didn’t find anything objectionable."

She added, “We had written the show keeping the prime time audience in mind. After the show was pushed to the 10.30 pm slot.

'After Pehredaar was pushed to the 10.30 pm slot, we realised it wasn’t garnering the response we wanted. So we decided to pull it off air' - Shashi Mittal

Trending Video

Watch video: Riya Sen's shocking controversies: MMS scandal to smooching a girl

 

Download the new mid-day android app to get updates on all the latest and trending stories on the go https://goo.gl/8Xlcvr

Go to top