If cricketers, coaches and supporters were asked before the final ball in yesterday's India vs Sri Lanka CB Series game was delivered as to who would they have batting or bowling in the situation, most would have selected MS Dhoni and Lasith Malinga.
Sri Lanka captain Mahela Jayawardene too agreed with the choice. "There is no one else I could have trusted to bowl the final over than Lasith. We all know if the length is slightly off, then MS will punish it and it took a really good shot to hit that ball for three. There is no way we could blame Lasith. It was a really good last over to perhaps the best finisher in the game," said Jayawardene.
Malinga attempts to run Dhoni out at the Adelaide Oval yesterday.
The Lankan captain also praised Angelo Mathews despite the young star giving away 15 runs in the second last over of the day. "Yes, he bowled one bad ball, but other than that, I thought he bowled quite well. It is not the easiest to bowl to a guy like MS at the death," said Jayawardene.
Sri Lanka are without a victory from three games but Jayawardene believes they need one win to get on a roll. "We were really close today. I cannot complain about the effort. It has been a long 12 months and we have been playing continuous cricket, but the guys are still putting in an effort and a win is close by."
Tied ODIs involving India
Following is the list of tied one-day Internationals India has been involved in:
* India (126) vs West Indies (126), Perth, December 6, 1991
* India (248-5) vs Zimbabwe (248), Indore, November 18, 1993
* India (236) vs Zimbabwe (236-8), Paarl, January 27, 1997
* India (338) vs England (338-8), Bangalore, February 27, 2011
* India (280) vs England (270-8 via DL), Lord's, September 11, 2011
* India (236-9)vs Sri Lanka (236-9), Adelaide, February 14, 2012