Tribute: Manna Dey in heaven
Veteran playback singer Manna Dey passed away yesterday in Bangalore. He was 94
He had been ailing for a while and had been hospitalised due to age-related complications. Dey had sung over 3,500 songs in as many as 16 different languages, including Kannada, in a career spanning 70 years. He made Bangalore his home and stayed with his younger daughter.
Here’s a list of his six classic songs...
1. The track Pyar Hua Ikrar Hua is considered to be one of the best romantic classics. It was picturised on Raj Kapoor and Nargis in Shree 420 on a rainy night under an umbrella. Manna Dey sung this song along with Lata Mangeshkar.
2. Ae Bhai Zara Dekh Ke Chalo which was filmed on Raj Kapoor while he performs on stage as a clown in Mera Naam Joker.
3. Yeh Dosti Hum Nahi Todenge featuring Amitabh Bachchan and Dharmendra from the classic Sholay. The song was sung by Manna Dey and Kishore Kumar.
4. Zindagi Kaisi Hai Paheli from Anand was picturised on superstar Rajesh Khanna with Salil Chaudhary as the music composer.
5. Yeh Raat Bheegi Bheegi rendered by Lata Mangeshkar and Manna Dey was in the film Chori Chori (1956).
6. Aye mere pyare watan, ay mere bichhade chaman is regarded as one of the best patriotic songs which bring tears to people’s eyes. The song is from Kabuliwala (1961).