Unhappy Yohan Cabaye opens door to Premier League return
Paris: Unsettled Paris Saint-Germain and France midfielder Yohan Cabaye has admitted that he is keen on a return to English football after a difficult 18 months at the Parc des Princes.
The 29-year-old has won five trophies with PSG since signing from Newcastle United in January 2014, including successive Ligue 1 titles. But he had been unable to win a regular place in coach Laurent Blanc's starting line-up even before injuries spoiled the second half of the season just finished.
Cabaye, who is currently with the France squad preparing for Saturday's friendly away to Albania in Elbasan, told sports daily L'Equipe that he was going through the hardest period of his career and admitted he could not really imagine staying at PSG next season. 'Not really.'
I know that if I stay, I could do everything but nothing will change," he said. On the prospect of joining a supposedly lesser club than the French champions, Cabaye added: "Sometimes it is better to take a step back to revitalise oneself and find pleasure again. "I had a great time in England in a league that suits me well.
I would have liked things to work out differently at PSG, as would the club, but there is a reality. If I have the opportunity to return to England, I hope everyone will be intelligent enough to do things well. But there could be other destinations."
The former Lille playmaker's fear is that PSG -- who are constrained by UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules -- will only let him go if a big offer comes in for a player who cost in the region of 25 million euros ($28.2m) just last year.
But he has been told by France coach Didier Deschamps that his status as a first-choice with Les Bleus going into Euro 2016 is in danger unless he starts playing regular first-team football for his club. "That is clear. I know and the club know it too. It will be important for me to make the best choice possible," he added.