18 May,2026 06:25 PM IST | Mumbai | mid-day online correspondent
Youth Congress members interact with commuters during their protest against the NEET paper leak on Mumbai Metro on Monday. PIC/X
The Mumbai Youth Congress on Monday carried out an awareness campaign on the city's metro rail network over the National Eligibility Entrance Test (Undergraduate) paper leak case and accused the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of allowing rackets behind such incidents to flourish.
The campaign comes ahead of a May 21 meeting of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Education, Women, Children, Youth and Sports, which is set to review the progress made in the investigation into the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak case and discuss reforms in the National Testing Agency (NTA), according to a Rajya Sabha circular.
NEET was conducted across 551 Indian cities and at 14 overseas centres on May 3. However, the examination was cancelled after information regarding alleged malpractice surfaced on May 7.
Nearly 23 lakh candidates had registered for the test.
Led by Mumbai Youth Congress President Zeenat Shabrin, office-bearers and workers travelled on metro trains, interacted with commuters, and distributed pamphlets carrying information on alleged paper leak cases reported from across the country.
According to a party release, the pamphlets contained details of those arrested in connection with such cases and alleged links between paper leak rackets and individuals associated with the BJP.
The release added that the scandal had triggered widespread anger among students, whose years of hard work and aspirations were being undermined.
"The leak of a major national-level examination such as NEET is a serious matter affecting the careers of lakhs of students and the hopes of their parents," Shabrin said.
"The Union government has failed to protect the interests of student. Some of the accused in the case are linked to the BJP. Four students have died by suicide following the cancellation of the NEET examination. Union Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan is responsible and must resign," she added.
Shabrin further alleged that corruption had spread across competitive examinations in the country and said the Youth Congress would continue its agitation until those responsible were punished, an impartial probe was conducted and justice was delivered to students.
Meanwhile, the Parliamentary Standing Committee meeting is scheduled to begin at 11 am on May 21 at Committee Room-3 of the Parliament Annexe Extension Building.
The 29-member committee, headed by Rajya Sabha Congress member Digvijaya Singh, is expected to question NTA chief Pradeep Kumar Joshi and Higher Education Secretary Vineet Joshi on the cancelled NEET (UG) 2026 examination, arrangements for the re-examination scheduled on June 21, and measures being taken to prevent similar incidents in future.
The meeting is likely to witness sharp questions from Opposition members regarding the implementation of the K Radhakrishnan Report on NTA reforms.
So far, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has arrested 10 accused in the paper leak case from Delhi, Jaipur, Gurugram, Nasik, Pune, Latur, and Ahilyanagar.
"I have given notice of question of privilege under Rule 187 of Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Council of States against the Union Minister of Education for having lowered the dignity of Parliament and Parliamentary Committees," Ramesh said on social media.
(With PTI and IANS inputs)