Withdraw cases filed against protesters or protests will resume, CJP tells govt

27 July,2026 09:53 PM IST |  New Delhi  |  mid-day online correspondent

The CJP called off its 36-day agitation at Jantar Mantar on Saturday after the government accepted some key demands and assured action on others within an agreed timeline

Rajya Sabha MP Kapil Sibal, CJP spokespersons Saurav Das and Ashutosh Ranka during a press conference. Pic/PTI


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

The Cockroach Janata Party (CJP) on Monday said it was awaiting a written assurance from the government regarding the withdrawal of criminal cases filed against protesters and organisers during its 36-day agitation at Delhi's Jantar Mantar, reported the PTI.

The organisation warned that it could restart its protest if the promised agreement is not received by Tuesday.

Addressing a press conference, CJP national spokesperson Ashutosh Ranka said the withdrawal of FIRs was among the key issues discussed during the third round of talks with the government before the protest was called off, news agency reported.

Ranka claimed that an agreement was reached to withdraw cases filed against protesters and organisers across the country and ensure that no fresh FIRs would be registered against those involved in the movement.

He said the CJP had submitted a draft agreement to Union Ministers J P Nadda and Jitendra Singh, and the government had agreed to provide a written document after legal consultations.

Warning of renewed agitation

Ranka said the organisation was waiting for the written agreement and expected the government to honour its commitment.

He added that if the document was not received by Tuesday and arrested protesters or organisers were not released, the CJP would be "forced to protest again", as per the PTI.

CJP chief spokesperson Saurav Das said the protest was withdrawn in "good faith" after the government agreed to address the group's main demands or take action within a specified timeframe.

Ranka alleged that there were concerns that individuals involved in the movement could face legal action after the protest ended.

He said the organisation had consulted senior advocate Kapil Sibal before and after calling off the agitation to ensure that the youth movement was not affected by legal proceedings.

The CJP spokesperson also claimed that legal and medical assistance had been provided to protesters across the country during the movement, according to the PTI.

Kapil Sibal supports students' right to protest

Meanwhile, Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, who attended the press conference, said students who participated in the protest should not face legal action.

He described the demonstration as an organic movement and said peaceful student protests should be protected.

"We don't want action to be taken against students who did a protest," Sibal said, reported the PTI.

Protest ended after government assurances

The CJP called off its 36-day agitation at Jantar Mantar on Saturday after the government accepted some key demands and assured action on others within an agreed timeline.

The protest had been centred around allegations of irregularities in national competitive examinations, including the NEET-UG 2026 paper leak issue.

(with PTI inputs)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
India Cockroach Janta Party news India news national news Protest
Related Stories