90 killed in gas explosion at coal mine in north China, rescue efforts continue

24 May,2026 10:07 AM IST |  Beijing  |  Agencies

As per reports the blueprints provided by the coal mine did not match the actual layout, hampering rescue efforts.

So far 201 miners have been rescued from the coal mine gas explosion in China. PIC/X@aricchen


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

Ninety miners were killed in a gas explosion in a coal mine in north China, official media in Beijing reported on Saturday, adding that 201 miners have so far been rescued. There were 247 reportedly working underground in the mine. The gas explosion occurred at the Liushenyu coal mine on Friday evening. Rescue efforts are ongoing. The death toll rose to 90 from eight within an hour of it being reported, in north China's Shanxi Province.

Chinese President Xi Jinping. PIC/X@BRICSInf

Chinese President Xi Jinping has called for an all-out effort to rescue the missing, Xinhua reported. He said, "All regions and departments must draw lessons from this accident, remain constantly vigilant regarding workplace safety, and resolutely prevent and curb the occurrence of major and catastrophic accidents."

Wang Yong, one of the hospitalised miners, said that he smelled sulphur and saw smoke. "I told people to run," he said. "As I ran, I saw people being choked by the smoke. And then I blacked out." As per reports the blueprints provided by the coal mine did not match the actual layout, hampering rescue efforts.

247
Miners were reportedly working in the underground mine

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
xi jinping china beijing news world news
Related Stories