Donald Trump says US to send 5,000 more troops to Poland after Pentagon's delay

22 May,2026 10:42 AM IST |  Washington  |  mid-day online correspondent

Earlier this week, the US Department of Defense announced that the number of US Brigade Combat Teams stationed in Europe would be reduced from four to three, bringing troop levels back to figures seen in 2021

US President Donald Trump. Pic/AFP


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that the United States would deploy an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, days after the Pentagon delayed a previously planned troop deployment to the country.

Trump made the announcement in a post on Truth Social, linking the decision to Washington's relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he had publicly endorsed during the election campaign.

"Based on the successful election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 troops to Poland," Trump wrote.

The US President did not provide further details regarding the timeline or purpose of the deployment.

Announcement follows Pentagon's earlier deployment delay

Trump's remarks came roughly a week after the Pentagon reportedly delayed the deployment of more than 4,000 US-based troops to Poland.

The delay followed a broader restructuring of US military presence in Europe.

Earlier this week, the US Department of Defense announced that the number of US Brigade Combat Teams stationed in Europe would be reduced from four to three, bringing troop levels back to figures seen in 2021.

The Pentagon said the decision resulted in a temporary delay in troop deployments to Poland, although it described Poland as "a model US ally."

Around 10,000 US troops already stationed in Poland

According to US media reports, around 80,000 American troops are currently deployed across Europe, including approximately 10,000 personnel stationed in Poland.

The Pentagon had earlier announced plans to withdraw nearly 5,000 US troops from Germany over the next six to 12 months as part of a broader military restructuring.

The latest announcement by Trump signals a possible shift in the administration's European military strategy, particularly in Eastern Europe amid ongoing security concerns in the region.

Pentagon officials confirm force reduction discussions

Last week, senior US military officials confirmed that the planned deployment of troops to Poland had been halted following instructions related to force reductions.

Speaking during a congressional hearing, Christopher LaNeve, acting US Army chief of staff, said the head of the US European Command had received instructions regarding troop cuts.

"I've worked with him in close consultation on what that force unit would be, and it made the most sense for that brigade to not do its deployment in theatre," LaNeve said, referring to the 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team.

He added that some members of the unit had already been deployed overseas and military equipment was already in transit when the deployment was cancelled.

Defence Secretary's office reportedly ordered cancellation

According to LaNeve, the order to stop the deployment came from the office of US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth.

However, the Pentagon has not made any formal public announcement explaining the reasons behind the earlier cancellation or the newly proposed troop deployment.

(With inputs from IANS)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
donald trump united states of america USA world news poland
Related Stories