Iran says it suspended planned strikes on Ukraine after 'mistake' claim

05 August,2026 08:44 AM IST |  Tehran  |  Agencies

Senior Iranian adviser Mohsen Rezaee said Tehran had prepared retaliatory strikes on targets inside Ukraine after an attack on an Iranian commercial vessel in the Caspian Sea. He claimed the operation was suspended after Kyiv said the incident had been a mistake.

The house of a family whose members were killed in a strike in the Ukrainian city of Kryvyi Rig. Pics/AFP


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

Senior military adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader, Mohsen Rezaee, said that Tehran was prepared to launch strikes on targets inside Ukraine following an attack on an Iranian commercial vessel in the Caspian Sea, but suspended the planned operation after Kyiv claimed the incident had been "a mistake."

Senior adviser Mohsen Rezaee, who is also a former commander of Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, made the remarks on Tuesday during a televised interview, saying Tehran had readied retaliatory action on three targets in Ukraine before deciding to pause.


Mohsen Rezaee, senior adviser to Iran's Supreme Leader

Rezaee further stated that Tehran paused its planned retaliation to assess Kyiv's explanation but maintained that compensation for the incident remained necessary.

‘Will defend security'

Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian asserted on Tuesday that Tehran is not interested in stoking regional conflict, while making it clear that the nation will uncompromisingly safeguard its sovereignty.

According to Press TV, Pezeshkian said, "The Islamic Republic of Iran does not seek to escalate tensions or instability in the region. However, it will act with its full capabilities to defend the country's security, national interests, and territorial integrity."

This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
iran tehran ukraine world news International news
Related Stories