US CENTCOM carries out fresh strikes on Iran, warns forces remain ready for further military action

21 July,2026 09:58 AM IST |  Washington  |  mid-day online correspondent

According to CENTCOM, the latest strikes were conducted at 9 pm ET on July 20 and targeted Iranian military command centres, maritime capabilities, missile and drone launch sites, as well as air defence systems

According to the command, US forces have played a role in supporting maritime security in the area. Pic/AFP


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

The United States Central Command (CENTCOM) said it carried out another round of military strikes against Iran, targeting military infrastructure that it claimed was linked to threats against commercial shipping in the Strait of Hormuz. The latest operation comes as tensions in the Middle East remain high and the US warned that its forces are prepared to take further action if required.

The strikes were announced by CENTCOM in a statement posted on X, while the US Department of State simultaneously issued a worldwide security advisory urging American citizens to remain vigilant due to the volatile regional situation.

CENTCOM says strikes targeted military infrastructure

According to CENTCOM, the latest strikes were conducted at 9 p.m. ET on July 20 and targeted Iranian military command centres, maritime capabilities, missile and drone launch sites, as well as air defence systems.

In its statement, CENTCOM said the objective was to reduce Iran's ability to carry out attacks on commercial vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world's most strategically significant maritime routes for global energy supplies.

"U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) completed another round of strikes against Iran at 9 p.m. ET, July 20. US forces struck Iranian military command centres, maritime capabilities, missile and drone launch sites, and air defence systems to degrade Iran's ability to continue attacking commercial vessels flowing through the Strait of Hormuz."

Strait of Hormuz remains critical to global energy trade

CENTCOM said commercial shipping has continued to pass through the Strait of Hormuz despite heightened regional tensions.

According to the command, US forces have played a role in supporting maritime security in the area.

"Since early May, CENTCOM forces have helped facilitate the transit of approximately 900 commercial vessels and 450 million barrels of crude oil."

The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's busiest maritime corridors and serves as a key route for global oil exports. Any disruption to shipping through the waterway has the potential to affect international energy markets and global trade.

US says military remains prepared for further action

CENTCOM said US forces remain ready to conduct additional operations if necessary, accusing Iran of carrying out attacks against civilian shipping in the region.

The command stated that the strikes were intended to weaken military capabilities that it believes have been used to threaten commercial maritime traffic.

Iran has previously denied involvement in several attacks on commercial vessels in the region, and its response to the latest US strikes had not been detailed at the time of writing.

State Department issues worldwide security advisory

Separately, the US Department of State's Bureau of Consular Affairs issued a worldwide caution for American citizens, citing the increasingly uncertain security environment resulting from heightened tensions in the Middle East.

"Worldwide Caution: Due to heightened tensions in the Middle East, the security environment remains complex with the potential for unforeseen escalation."

The advisory urged Americans in the region to remain alert and prepare for possible disruptions.

"Americans currently in the Middle East should exercise caution and heightened vigilance and should be prepared for possible flight cancellations, periodic airspace closures, and potential travel disruptions. Please monitor embassy and consular security alerts, local authorities, and the news for breaking developments."

US warns of potential threats to diplomatic facilities

The State Department also cautioned that US diplomatic missions and American interests abroad could face security risks.

"U.S. diplomatic facilities, including outside the Middle East, have been targeted. Iran and groups supportive of Iran may target other U.S. interests overseas or at locations associated with the United States and Americans throughout the world," the department said.

(With inputs from IANS)

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
united states of america USA iran Israel-Iran War world news International news
Related Stories