US, Iran agree to pause attacks, hold Doha talks on Strait of Hormuz dispute

29 June,2026 09:44 AM IST |  Washington  |  IANS

The US and Iran have agreed to temporarily halt attacks and meet in Doha on Tuesday for talks focused on security in the Strait of Hormuz amid escalating regional tensions

Authorities in the United Arab Emirates said there had been no oil spill. Representational Pic/File/AFP


Your browser doesn’t support HTML5 audio

The United States and Iran have agreed to pause mutual attacks "for now" and hold talks on Tuesday in Doha, the capital of Qatar, to work out their dispute over the Strait of Hormuz, US media outlet Axios reported. The two sides will stand down "for now" and "vessels can move freely" as technical talks are set to continue, a US official was quoted as saying.

The Tuesday talks were originally set to be held in Switzerland and focused on Iran's nuclear program. However, renewed tensions in the Strait of Hormuz prompted the talks to be moved to Doha, shifting the focus to shipping security in the strategic waterway, Xinhua news agency reported.

During negotiations in Switzerland a week ago, the US delegation agreed with Iran to establish a "hotline" between the US military and Iran's Islamic Revolution Guard Corps to coordinate traffic in the strait. However, as of Saturday, the "hotline" still wasn't operational, according to the report.

The United States conducted strikes on Iranian targets on Friday and Saturday, citing "continued Iranian aggression against commercial shipping" in the Strait of Hormuz. Iran responded by striking US military positions in the region.

Meanwhile, US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the United States had launched fresh air strikes on Iranian military targets after accusing Tehran of again violating the ceasefire agreement by attacking a commercial oil tanker near the Strait of Hormuz, warning that the Islamic Republic "will no longer exist" if the attacks continue.

The US Central Command (CENTCOM) said the strikes were carried out at the President's direction after Iran allegedly launched a one-way attack drone that hit the Panama-flagged tanker M/T Kiku at 4:30 a.m. ET. The tanker was transiting near the Strait of Hormuz carrying more than two million barrels of crude oil.

In a Truth Social post, Trump said US aircraft had struck Iranian missile and drone storage locations as well as coastal radar sites. "United States aircraft just struck Iranian missile and drone storage locations, and coastal radar sites, for violating the Cease Fire Agreement, AGAIN! It is very possible that they will never learn!"

"There may come a point when we are no longer able to be reasonable, and will be forced to militarily complete the job that we very successfully started. If that happens, the Islamic Republic of Iran will no longer exist!" the President wrote. CENTCOM said Iran had been given an opportunity to comply with the ceasefire after Friday's US strikes in response to the attack on M/V Ever Lovely.

This story has been sourced from a third party syndicated feed, agencies. Mid-day accepts no responsibility or liability for its dependability, trustworthiness, reliability and data of the text. Mid-day management/mid-day.com reserves the sole right to alter, delete or remove (without notice) the content in its absolute discretion for any reason whatsoever

"Exciting news! Mid-day is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!" Click here!
iran doha qatar Aircraft world news International news washington
Related Stories